New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
My Volkan morta arrived today and a thing of beauty it is too, although it's actually technically my 3rd morta pipe.
What happened was last year I saw the Rattrays 2000 bog oak range and decided to get one as I'd always wanted a morta and the Rattrays were great looking, a fair price and they took a 9mm filter.
So I picked out one I liked and when it arrived it was indeed a handsome pipe, the only fly in the ointment was after 4 bowls I noticed 3 hairline cracks on the inside of the bowl. I had nursed it when smoking and I never let it get hot so I knew it was unlikely to be my fault.
I rang the shop and they asked if I wanted a refund or another pipe, thinking it was a one off I duly chose another shape and waited for it to arrive.
Long story short the exact same thing happened again, I rang the shop back up and they told me that many of the batch they'd been selling had been returned with the same problem ie hairline cracks.
I assume maybe the morta wasn't dried correctly or something and I got a refund.
Anyway fast forward 12 months and I saw this Volkan and decided to put a bid in, luckily no one else fancied the pipe so I got it for a bargain £57 with free delivery.
I'll go very easy on it for the first 10-15 bowls (as I do with any new pipe) and hopefully my bad luck with mortas will be over.
Here are some pictures, the first one is taken by me (which explains why it's rubbish) but the others are the photos from ebay and do it far more justice.

Chris.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Very nice! Appears to have substantial wall thickness. Eager to hear your thoughts after a few or more bowls. I don’t own a Morta. Yet... ;)

Yes the walls are indeed thick and it's a fairly substantial pipe overall although it feels quite light given its size.
The 2 I briefly had before were for vabur blends but this one I'm gonna use for straight Virginias which will mainly be of the deeper earthy variety ie Full Virginia Plug & Germain's Brown Flake.
I'm hoping they'll pair well with it as I need a straight Virginia pipe with a large bowl and this fits the bill perfectly.

Chris.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Great looking pipe!

I have also been looking at morta pipes. Most are out of my price range, but I like some of the Vermont Freehand shapes that appear to be very reasonably priced.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Great looking pipe!

I have also been looking at morta pipes. Most are out of my price range, but I like some of the Vermont Freehand shapes that appear to be very reasonably priced.

I know Mr Brog do a morta that is very reasonable price wise and Volkan have about 6 or 7 on ebay at the moment going for about £140 (or best offer) but if you keep an eye on the site most end up being auctioned at some point and they often start at a much lower price and you can end up with a bargain.
They are definitely worth a look and I've seen many pipes on there both briar, olive wood and morta go for much less than the sticker price.
I've only had mine a few hours and haven't even had a chance to smoke it yet but to my (admittedly uneducated) eye the workmanship, construction and finish looks first class (on this one example anyway).

Chris.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Looks like a nice pipe. Moretti pipes does amazing work with morta. Many Marco's pipes can be purchased directly from him on ebay for pretty astoundingly low prices if you time it right.