PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Being a new pipe smoker myself, what do you normally notice when going from say an inexpensive cob or briar to a more expensive better quality pipe? Is it something a new smoker will feel or know when smoking a better pipe?
Pride.
In a good way.
Hard to describe but it's nuanced, like driving a finer automobile and feeling the road differently; after you've learned all about safety and paying attention to the environment around you and simply getting from A to B.

Sep 7, 2023
Pride.
In a good way.
Hard to describe but it's nuanced, like driving a finer automobile and feeling the road differently; after you've learned all about safety and paying attention to the environment around you and simply getting from A to B.
I'm really close to deciding on buying a Savinelli. I'm hoping to experience the difference

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I think overall it's hard to get a "dud".
It seems to me more that each pipe has it's own character, and learning how it likes to be treated best is a little bit of a searching process; but when I look at each pipe as unique I tend to find that most of them will do what you wish once you find what they like.

Reactions: Old Millwright

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
I would definitely recommend a Stanwell or Savinelli. My first proper pipe I bought was a Vauen that was pretty cheap and it is a good pipe. I only have the one though so I can't vouch for the brand one hundred percent.

Can't go wrong with a cob either.

Reactions: HRPufnstuf

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Hello. I'm new to pipe smoking and I was hoping for some advice. I'm looking to get a pipe suitable for learning but also one that isn't junk. I'd like to keep it in the $50 and under range as I'm still unsure the hobby is for me. I have been looking around a bit but I just don't have any idea what I'm looking at. Any advice or recommendations welcomed. I'm also going to need some intro tobacco suggestions as well. I was thinking aromatic was a good jumping off place but don't really know. Thank you all in advance.
Rossi by Savinelli

Sep 7, 2023
Savinelli is the absolute best factory briar pipe on the market from what I've experienced. That doesn't mean they're all great pipes, it just means that you have a much lower chance of getting a dud when you get a Savinelli.
Update on this. I picked up a Savinelli rusticated Oscar, apple shaped. I love it!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Smoke whatever you want. Don't listen to people who "help" you with whatever is your choice in the first place. But if you can't make up your mind, may I suggest Scientology?

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
My first pipe was a Dr. Grabow bent billiard, can't remember which model, that I bought off of the board at the Rexall drugstore along with a pouch of Borkum Riff Black Cavandish. I selected that pipe because I could afford it and I thought it looked cool. I then proceeded to make all the mistakes novice pipesmokers make while learning the art.
45 years later, I still have that old Grabow. It's much like me, scratched, scarred and a bit scorched about the edges. It still smokes great.
I own more pipes now, of all kinds, and several are very nice. But if I could only grab a pipe in each hand before evacuating a building it would be my Grabow and my second pipe, a Bachus Head meerschaum, that a friend gave me the next year.

My advice to the new pipesmoker has always been to decide what price point is comfortably within your budget and then go buy a pipe that you think looks cool and feels good in your hand. There are many different tobacco samplers available these days, pick one that sounds most interesting to you along with a tamper, pipe cleaners and your preferred flammenwefer, and get started.
It truly is a journey.
You'll figure out the rest along the way.

Cheers!

H

HRPufnstuf

I bought a Nording Shorty today on a whim. Tiny porcelaine bowl and a filter chamber that acts in some fashion like a calabash. It uses porous stone chips as a filter in a chamber below the bowl. It smokes very cleanly, giving an utterly unaltered tobacco flavour. In addition, it was very affordable and for a new pipe afficionado the length of a smoke in it is a good training tool. Call it a pipe with training wheels if you like.

I have sampled all my current tobaccos in it and was pleased. It is more involved to clean, the filter chamber is somewhat convoluted. It will not replace my cobs or a meerschaum in most cases but I find it an enjoyable neutral, pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FLDRD