PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
It's here! Hell Yeah! I know a lot of your guys have too many pipes to count. Maybe one day I'll be there, but for now I have my first good pipe. It's a Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish 05 Sandblast. I hope this picture is correct.

srharel

Lurker
Sep 9, 2010
Enjoy it! Peterson (Aran) was among my first ones. For me this specific one is slightly heavier to clench on, so it is less in my smoking rotation but I got a sytem (and P-Lip) Peterson last year in London and it is definitely among my favourites (though the P-Lip is kinda contraversial).

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Very nice. I have yet to get a Petereon pipe. One day..
Mowens-The voices in my head remind me that I once said the same thing!LOL.
nabottle- your choice of pipe as an introduction to Peterson pipes was an excellent decision.
I am confident that it will lead to many more.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Good choice! I especially like the mount (Mark Twain style?)
The next question is, what are you smoking in it?

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
"your choice of pipe as an introduction to Peterson pipes was an excellent decision"

-Sandpiper
Thank you so much. It really means a lot coming from a man with your knowledge and status as an authority on Petersons. I must admit, I am somewhat jealous. Not only for the fact that you have such a wide collection of Petersons, but the fact that you actually come from Ireland. MY family came to the US from there many years ago. County Laois. One day, I'll come back for a vistit. Maybe never to return.

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Thanks guy for the postive responses. As far as tobacco, the only thing I had at home already were some aromatics from Edward's. I decided to wait until my C&D 1oz. came in. I orderd a few English Blends - Engine 99, Bailey's Front Porch, and Mountain Camp. I also ordered Haunted Bookshop, Bayou Morning, and Three Friars. Everyone has told me to get quality tobacco and most people have great things to sa about Cornell & Diehl, so I decided to start there.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Wonderful choice, welcome to the forums and welcome to the world of Peterson! You might do well to try some of their tobaccos as well, I haven't had one that's less than brilliant yet.

Come to think of it, I'm going to pack up some Holiday '10 right now for breakfast....

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
I will be trying a few Peterson tobaccos soon. I gave a list of tobaccos that I wanted for my birthday to my wife. Several of them are Peterson - Old Dublin, Sweet Killarney, and Sherlock Holmes. Do you have any favorites?

simpledesign

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2011
Several of them are Peterson - Old Dublin, Sweet Killarney, and Sherlock Holmes. Do you have any favorites?
I enjoy the University Flake quite a bit.....also a Peterson fan (2011 St Pat's 106 and a Shannon 01). I am waiting for the P.O.T.Y. to come out for my next PAD fix.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Sweet Killarney is a nice aromatic and I like it for a change of pace from the Va. and VaPers.
I like Peterson pipes of the standard configuration... ie: no P-lip and no System (bad solutions to no-existant problems, IMO).

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Hey Nabottle....What a fine looking Peterson to start your Irish collection. I'm sure you will become fast friends as the relationship deepens. Congratulations!.... :clap:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Definitely good when Jim, thesandpiper, gives it two thumbs up. Sherlock Holmes, and Sweet Killarney are good blends. I have to say if you're looking for a Peterson aromatic to try though, you will not go wrong with Connoisseur's Choice, especially this time of year. It's a cavendish, virginia mix with a broken flake that has a casing flavor of tropical fruit, vanilla, and rum. It's a delicious summer evening smoke and with a nice cold glass of Baileys or Scotch in my book it's almost unbeatable. Luxury Blend is another that's really good as well. It's a virginia, cavendish blend with a little bit of burley and a flavor casing of orange, honey, and vanilla. I have the 05 shape in the Aran series. I love that pipe. It's very well balanced and clenches very well. I was greatly impressed. It smokes wonderfully too. Can't wait till this gingivitis clears up totally and I can get back to smoking it.

denholrl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2011
Congrats and good luck with your new Peterson. I've never had one that smoked poorly . . . and that covers nearly 50 years of pipe smoking.
Rob

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Thanks for the input. Just a question: After opening a tin of tobacco, how long will it last in the tin before it should be put in a jar or something airtight?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had some tins for almost a year now that I haven't transferred and haven't dried out. After I bought Irish Whiskey then I got into trying other companies like Robert McConnell (glen piper, ripe honeydew, scottish cake), and McClelland's frog morton on the bayou, and Stanwell's melange. After giving those a go and ordering about five more Peterson Blends I got around to popping the Irish Whiskey tin open again like I said earlier almost a year later and it was still pretty fresh. Didn't need any rehydrating. I keep my tobaccos in a bookshelf in a part of the room where it doesn't get as much sun. That's probably why the tin has kept well for a year. I would only transfer to a mason jar, anything you buy in bulk really or the ziplock when you buy house blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.