PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Edit- No all caps, please. And congratulations! Enjoy!

I finally pulled the trigger on a Castello.

Great purchase from Home Page - Tabaccheria Corti Lecco - Online Shop - https://tabaccheriacorti.com/it/

Arrived very quick and beautifully packaged with great pipe cleaners and nice wooden tamper.

Total was $320 including shipping.

I chose a Natural Vergin KK rusticated billiard/pot. Not sure the shape number.

The pipe is gorgeous. The online images DON’T do it justice. The online photos don’t give a sense of the details, elegance, and proportions. This is overall a small pipe, but that is part of its beauty. I can see what people are talking about. And the drilling is amazing with the draft hole landing perfectly with the bottom of the bowl. The interior of the bowl itself shows NO imperfections or pits.

First smoke was with some aged McClelland Christmas Cheer. I can’t say there was a dramatic taste difference from other pipes, but the smoking was terrific with a very nice open draft that responded like a Ferrari. Lol. There was definitely a nice taste, but I will continue to report.

This pipe really makes me rethink why so many pipe makers produce such huge pipes. My guess is that small pipes really require a steady hand to get the details right. I prefer smokes that aren’t over an hour, so I really like this size (Rusticated KK). I might try a KKK, but they seem hard to find. Could it be what it brings to mind ?

In summary, NO REGRETS !!! And if they are all like this I will buy some more in the future. They DO have an indefinable quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Congratulations! Natural Vigins will color evenly over time but never handle the hot wood with your bare hands. I just wrap my finger around the stem.
I’ve read that. But I don’t care. Let it develop a patina naturally where I hold it. Do you really think it doesn’t look good that way ? I figure it will show the history of its use. I don’t think I will ever sell it.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Sorry about caps in original title. I thought you meant in the post. It won’t happen again. I promise.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
As far as Castello briar goes: I’m definitely picking up on a very nice sweet wood, incense, and coffee note that the briar seems to be imparting. So, Yes ! There does seem to be some merit to the talk about Castello briar being premium.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
As far as Castello briar goes: I’m definitely picking up on a very nice sweet wood, incense, and coffee note that the briar seems to be imparting. So, Yes ! There does seem to be some merit to the talk about Castello briar being premium.
I've noticed this smell too. Plus, they look better in reality than in photos.
There must be some kind of pipe-magic about Castellos.

Reactions: didimauw

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I've noticed this smell too. Plus, they look better in reality than in photos.
There must be some kind of pipe-magic about Castellos.
I agree. The photos can’t capture the scale and detail. They are really objects of art. Not at all clunky like so many pipes.

Reactions: autumnfog