Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
T'was suggested by a couple of forum members that I might like to try my hand at mixing my own. So I bought myself 2 oz of pure latakia by C&D which has arrived, and have 2 oz of bulk Cyprian Turkish Leaf on the way. Going to start tonight by mixing 3 parts of Sir Walter Raleigh plain tobacco (a mix of Virginia and Burly), one part latakia, and give it a try - a bare bones English. When the Turkish arrives, I'll add it to the mix in the same proportion as the Latakia.

I'll post the results of the first mix (3 + 1) tonight in this thread, and when the Turkish leaf arrives, I'll either start a new thread on the completed project, or if it's in next week, in this thread. Lookin' forward to a simple English evening smoke tonight. :)

I chose Sir Walter Raleigh plain because my noobs liked it and so did I. A very decent basic tobacco.

Last edited:

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Personally I’d go a lot lighter on the Latakia. A little of that goes a long way, especially if you let the mix sit a little.
I'd think you're probably right. I'll let it settle for a day or two, and add a bit more (maybe 4:1 or 5:1) of the Sir Walter base and see what transpires.

I took my cue from the mix in Pirate Kake which is apparently 50% Latakia. I'm actually striving to achieve replacing my standby English, which is put out by TobaccoBarn under the moniker "Traditional English." The company is being sold and I can't get Traditional English right now and I only have 4 oz of it left.

As it stands, my first attempt was to my mind at least successful and I'd certainly smoke it. But I'll take it step by step. Also, I'll probably start with about half the Turkish leaf that I used Lat. What do you think? I know nothing about this stuff. Maybe 5:1 makes more sense as I'd probably see the difference more quickly. (I'm actually a Lat fan - I find it balm for the tongue.) All this is uncharted territory so your suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks for your input and I'll post the results of the 4:1 or 5:1 mix in this thread on Tuesday. Tomorrow I'm going fishing unless it rains. (Again, I think now 5:1 makes sense as I'd probably see the difference more quickly. I'll see how the Spirit leads, eh? And it's good to know a little goes a long way. Thanks. Given our BC tobacco prices, I'd want to stretch it as far as I can without compromising my taste. :)

Last edited:

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
The Turkish will enhance the Latakia. Play around with it, bowl by bowl to find what you like. Some blends have 35-40% oriental, some have less. Try 30-50% Latakia. If you go lighter on the Latakia, up the oriental content. Also, I’d try a straight red Virginia and granulated Perique. A little goes a long way. I could personally leave the burley out unless it was DFK and even that would be used sparingly, but some of my Englishes have regular burley and they are nice. It’s nice to add nicotine and body.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: gord

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Dont be afraid to just mix a pipe full. While its best for them to rest together for a while It is still very close and you dont have to make a batch at a time and screw it up. Also try Perique and or lat in other blends you like. If you can cook and make your own sauces in the kitchen you can make some nice blends. For those of us with less access than US members (and low cost) its a way you can increase variety. I rarely smoke a blend wihout a little ammending.

A few hints. Most anything with perique is better (at least for me) with an additional pinch.
Burley and chocolate topped tobaccos are great with a little pinch of latakia
Strong peqiue blends are also good with light hit of latakia..but go easy or it will take over.

I find side beverages important. Its usually coffee or tea. I sweeten both. Its ok but I dont love coffee with perque but I do with burley and english.
Sweetened tea..I also add milk is great with a vaper. It really makes for a great desert.

Beer is ok with some blends but at least for what I smoke it adds nothing but its still beer :)
Scotch...well, its good but it kicks my butt.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: gord and karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
My experience experimenting with Latakia and various Latakia blends is that ~5% is mostly hard to detect, but adds a lot to a blend, 10-30% makes it a Latakia-dominant blend, while 50% or more somehow loses the heavy creosote/smoke taste and becomes quite aromatic, almost incense-like.
Burley and chocolate topped tobaccos are great with a little pinch of latakia
Yes, I have thought for many years that the trick to G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake is that little pinch of Latakia which is mostly undetectable by me, but I feel it makes the blend.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Well, it rained and I didn't go fishing. I did try varying the mix, lowering the percentage of Latakia from 1 part
to 3 of Sir Walter Raleigh Basic Tobacco to 1 part to 5, as makhorkasmoker suggested. He was absolutely right. When I smelled the diluted mix, it was much more like a blend, although the lat still was very evident, but not overbearing and dominant as in the original. The smoking told the tale, though. It was much more like a basic English than a Lat supported mixture. It's a fine smoke indeedI A very decent English! I might even try i:6 especially when the Turkish leaf arrives. Until then, Gord's Basic English is 5 parts Sir Walter Raleigh Basic Tobacco to 1 part C&D Latakia. Salut! :col: