Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi all! I want to share a bit of my pipe smoking expwrience the last couple of months since I’v started.

I’ve been smoking a pipe about once a week and enjoyed every koment smoking. My first bowl I started wit Connoisseur’s Choice which I quite liked but had to relight a lot. Every time the relights got less. After smoking a few bowls I bought a tin of Sweet Killarney. I immediately noticed that i tasted more creamy than CC, but overall it stayed the same throughout the bowl whereas CC had more flavors.

I then decided that I want to try enlish blends so I got some Early Morning Pipe and I definitely loved it a lot more that both CC and SK. It was almost like eating a nice breakfast so I could understand where the name came from. I liked it so much that I bought My Mixture 965. The first time smoking it I found it bland and didn’t like it as much as EMP. I left it a month before smoking it again in a different pipe, and man it was as someone who recommended it on this on the site described it, “sweet and smokey”. It is absolutely currently my favorite!

Yesterday I got University Flake which is currently a bland experience so I guess I’ll jar and leave it for a while.

The reason I’m buying Peterson tobaccos is because it is the only international branded tobacco I can find in SA except for Samuel Gawith, which is too expensive for me. I wish I could get my hands on Chelsea Morning, which I hear is a great English blend, but unfortunately G.L Pease isn’t available here.

Other than that I am glad I started with this hobby and look forward to many happy smokes!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
...The reason I’m buying Peterson tobaccos is because it is the only international branded tobacco I can find in SA except for Samuel Gawith, which is too expensive for me.
👋 Hi BriaRanger! Welcome to pipe smoking. I am a couple weeks into this hobby and really enjoying it so far. I spent almost 4 months in Nigeria on the mainland (not the islands) over the pandemic. It was my first time in Africa. I've seen bits and pieces of news related to SA over the last few years. Are there a lot of pipe smokers in SA? In Nigeria it is mostly cigarette smokers and they are sold by the individual cigarette for those that only have smaller amounts of naira to pay with. Similar with alcohol..instead of small bottles, they sell these oversized ketchup packets with high proof alcohol aside from the larger bottles. I call it gasoline. 😏 They also sell bitters in those types of satchets too (they call them satchets). Not sure if it is the same in SA, or just a Nigerian thing.

I have a small network of friends across the northern belt of Africa in Morocco and Egypt and then in the West with Nigeria. The back story surrounding why is bizarre yet noble enough.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi @BriaRanger
Welcome from Sydney, Oz

My first bowl I started wit Connoisseur’s Choice which I quite liked
I started back with pipes after a 30+years hiatus a few years back, and Peterson's Connoiseuer's Choice was the blend that got me all enthused with pipe smoking again. I still have it in my rotation

If you like English/Oriental blends you should try Sturk's Balkan blend.
One of my good mates is from Sth Africa and has been very generous with samples of this excellent tobacco.

Peterson's (formerly Dunhill's) Elizabethan Mixture is a good introduction to Virginia/Perique blends

Happy smokes puffy

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
👋 Hi BriaRanger! Welcome to pipe smoking. I am a couple weeks into this hobby and really enjoying it so far. I spent almost 4 months in Nigeria on the mainland (not the islands) over the pandemic. It was my first time in Africa. I've seen bits and pieces of news related to SA over the last few years. Are there a lot of pipe smokers in SA? In Nigeria it is mostly cigarette smokers and they are sold by the individual cigarette for those that only have smaller amounts of naira to pay with. Similar with alcohol..instead of small bottles, they sell these oversized ketchup packets with high proof alcohol aside from the larger bottles. I call it gasoline. 😏 They also sell bitters in those types of satchets too (they call them satchets). Not sure if it is the same in SA, or just a Nigerian thing.

I have a small network of friends across the northern belt of Africa in Morocco and Egypt and then in the West with Nigeria. The back story surrounding why is bizarre yet noble enough.
Hi Marie. I think if you go to the poorer townships there will be a lot of that, and I do know that people sell single cigarettes on the street, but in middle and upper class you will see quite a similar lifestyle to a first world country, with the difference being that there would be more crime as well as beggars on the street. I know that in some of the townships in Cape Town they sell that strong liquor, but here in Johannesburg’s townships they drink quarts sized beer (750ml).

Regarding your question about pipe smoking in South Africa, there is definitely a strong history of pipe smoking here. A lot of people have a grandfather who smoked pipe. These days I think it is like most of the western world; less pipe smokers, more cigarette smoker and a lot more vapers.

Reactions: Marie

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Hi @BriaRanger
Welcome from Sydney, Oz

I started back with pipes after a 30+years hiatus a few years back, and Peterson's Connoiseuer's Choice was the blend that got me all enthused with pipe smoking again. I still have it in my rotation

If you like English/Oriental blends you should try Sturk's Balkan blend.
One of my good mates is from Sth Africa and has been very generous with samples of this excellent tobacco.

Peterson's (formerly Dunhill's) Elizabethan Mixture is a good introduction to Virginia/Perique blends

Happy smokes puffy
Thank you!

I also still rotate with Connoisseurs Choice and still enjoy it.

Would love to try Elizabethan Mixture. Unfortunately the only non aromatic Peterson we have are the formerly Dunhill blends: 965, EMP and Nightcap.

Do you know whete Sturk’s tobacco is produced?

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Hi Marie. I think if you go to the poorer townships there will be a lot of that, and I do know that people sell single cigarettes on the street, but in middle and upper class you will see quite a similar lifestyle to a first world country, with the difference being that there would be more crime as well as beggars on the street. I know that in some of the townships in Cape Town they sell that strong liquor, but here in Johannesburg’s townships they drink quarts sized beer (750ml).

Regarding your question about pipe smoking in South Africa, there is definitely a strong history of pipe smoking here. A lot of people have a grandfather who smoked pipe. These days I think it is like most of the western world; less pipe smokers, more cigarette smoker and a lot more vapers.
Thanks for your reply. There is so much nuance and variety all over Africa, and very little education here in the states (US) with our public school system. Wonderful that there is a strong history of pipe smoking there in SA! I do not know if westernized is the best term to describe SA? Nigeria is becoming more and more westernized in certain ways, yet there are parts of the culture that are deeply ingrained and hold steadfast against outside influences. I hope you get a chance to try different tobaccos outside of the selection there. Not sure what the shipping/customs receiving laws are for SA. Do they allow citizens to receive tobacco by post? Or is it only for commercial wholesale and retailers?

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Thanks for your reply. There is so much nuance and variety all over Africa, and very little education here in the states (US) with our public school system. Wonderful that there is a strong history of pipe smoking there in SA! I do not know if westernized is the best term to describe SA? Nigeria is becoming more and more westernized in certain ways, yet there are parts of the culture that are deeply ingrained and hold steadfast against outside influences. I hope you get a chance to try different tobaccos outside of the selection there. Not sure what the shipping/customs receiving laws are for SA. Do they allow citizens to receive tobacco by post? Or is it only for commercial wholesale and retailers?
South-Africa is quite westernized in a alot of ways but also not. If you look at the middle upperclass then it most definitely is. IMG_1730.jpeg
This for instance, this is one of many of this type of houses in an area about 2km from where I stay. In the mid late 1900s, South Africa’s economy was stronger than the US and our currency 1 to 1 with the british pound. Due to corruption that has changed a lot. The Dutch came to SA in the 1600’s which already brought western influence and that is how the boers (farmers) settled in SA. Then in 1800s SA became a British colony, (a lot of history to follow). Where we are today is quite possibly on of the biggest mixed cultures in the world, but a big part of our country is westernized.

Sorry of this comes over as debating, which is not my intention, I am just providing some information. When I was still in school we had sport teams from abroad that would play against us and a lot of them were shocked when it didn’t look like a third world country. A lot of areas are third world, but when driving through some areas you will think it is a first world country, which I know doesn’t mean “westernized”, but the lifestyle is very much westernized.

The laws of receiving tobacco theough post became strict during and after Covid lockdown.

Here are two more photos of our malls in SA which might change perspective.IMG_1732.jpegIMG_1731.jpeg

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
South-Africa is quite westernized in a alot of ways but also not. If you look at the middle upperclass then it most definitely is. View attachment 321494
This for instance, this is one of many of this type of houses in an area about 2km from where I stay. In the mid late 1900s, South Africa’s economy was stronger than the US and our currency 1 to 1 with the british pound. Due to corruption that has changed a lot. The Dutch came to SA in the 1600’s which already brought western influence and that is how the boers (farmers) settled in SA. Then in 1800s SA became a British colony, (a lot of history to follow). Where we are today is quite possibly on of the biggest mixed cultures in the world, but a big part of our country is westernized.

Sorry of this comes over as debating, which is not my intention, I am just providing some information. When I was still in school we had sport teams from abroad that would play against us and a lot of them were shocked when it didn’t look like a third world country. A lot of areas are third world, but when driving through some areas you will think it is a first world country, which I know doesn’t mean “westernized”, but the lifestyle is very much westernized.

The laws of receiving tobacco theough post became strict during and after Covid lockdown.

Here are two more photos of our malls in SA which might change perspective.View attachment 321497View attachment 321496
Not perceiving as a debate at all! This was exactly the information I was hoping for to learn. Mostly in the news I was seeing fleeting articles over the years about division, land confiscation from the tribal diaspora there. Increasing issues with the power grid in parts. Of course its the news, and more ad revenue can be earned from negative fear-based press/propaganda rather than highlighting the strengths of cultures and nations. I knew SA was highly modernized, however your pictures really are beautiful and stunning with the infrastructure and architecture. Thank you for taking the time to reply and your effort in posting the pictures. puffy

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Not perceiving as a debate at all! This was exactly the information I was hoping for to learn. Mostly in the news I was seeing fleeting articles over the years about division, land confiscation from the tribal diaspora there. Increasing issues with the power grid in parts. Of course its the news, and more ad revenue can be earned from negative fear-based press/propaganda rather than highlighting the strengths of cultures and nations. I knew SA was highly modernized, however your pictures really are beautiful and stunning with the infrastructure and architecture. Thank you for taking the time to reply and your effort in posting the pictures. puffy
Land confiscation is being pushed for a while now by some political parties, espescially farm lands, and the corruption in the government is terrible, with arguably one of the most corrupt governments in the world. But through all the corruption and safety issues I still love my country and think it’s one of the best countries in the world.

There are a lot of division caused by past mistakes, but I think that in the areas where everyone gets along, South-Africa is an amazing example of how many cultures can live and work with each other and live in harmony. That is why we are called the Rainbow Nation.

The news always shares negative information, even when it is true. If you are constantly fed with negativity, that is what your life and personality becomes. I believe this is the reason a lot of people would rather gossip than building people up and focus on the positive. When you change your view about things and see the beauty in life, it changes the way you approach life, and you will possibly find yourself making a positive change in the aeas that you engage in.

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Land confiscation is being pushed for a while now by some political parties, espescially farm lands, and the corruption in the government is terrible, with arguably one of the most corrupt governments in the world. But through all the corruption and safety issues I still love my country and think it’s one of the best countries in the world.

There are a lot of division caused by past mistakes, but I think that in the areas where everyone gets along, South-Africa is an amazing example of how many cultures can live and work with each other and live in harmony. That is why we are called the Rainbow Nation.

The news always shares negative information, even when it is true. If you are constantly fed with negativity, that is what your life and personality becomes. I believe this is the reason a lot of people would rather gossip than building people up and focus on the positive. When you change your view about things and see the beauty in life, it changes the way you approach life, and you will possibly find yourself making a positive change in the aeas that you engage in.
Yes..100% agree about changing one's view about things to see the beauty in life and how it permeates in every direction. I love my country as well...have been learning a lot over the past several years about different types of revolutions to affect countries in different ways - sometimes induced by populations, and other times by groups behind the scenes. I didn't know SA refers to itself as the Rainbow Nation. I really appreciate when cultures can integrate to the degree that everyone benefits. Los Angeles is very similar. We have over 140 countries represented by the population that lives here. Even though I did need to take lots of precautions in Nigeria (being a caucasian female, doesn't allow me to blend in very well there) - every time I traveled in a car I would have to sit in the back and when I saw a policeman with their machine gun at different points along the road, I would slink down in my seat and look the opposite way to try not to be noticed. There were a couple times they did notice and stopped the vehicle to try to look for something wrong to get cash bribes. I loved meeting and talking with many Nigerians though while there, learning from them. Beautiful people really...very warm, generous and eager to share their culture with foreigners.