PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I have mixed tobacco before, often just putting a little bit of some leftover with something else similar.

I had been thinking about actually making a mix for myself for the first time. I didn’t put any time into researching proportion or anything, I just took a stab at it. I ended up mixing Newminster 702 Light Burley, Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices, and Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. 3 parts Newminster, 2 parts Sutliff, and 1 part Mac Baren.

I only mixed enough for a few bowls, I basically rubbed out the tobaccos until they were all the same size pieces prior to missing so it would be easier to blend. Ok, all this is pretty average stuff a guy might do, but now I have a question.

For this first time mixing just a little bit of tobacco, I’m not going to try and press, heat, or perform any other kind of a process. I just want to see if it tastes like I imagine.

Is there much value in allowing these three tobaccos to blend in the jar for a while? Will the flavors “marry” if I leave them together longer? Or does it make little difference since I’m not heating, pressing, or anything else?

They’ve been sitting mixed in the jar for about a week, I will probably try it out today or tomorrow. I’m just wondering if it would get “better” as a blend with more time together. My hunch is that with the way I did it, time won’t really add much.

I know the easiest answer is to smoke it now and smoke it in a month or two, but I want to know NOW! ?

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
That’s an interesting question. I have yet to try my hand at mixing tobaccos to make something interesting that I could call my own.

Reactions: Ryan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That sounds like a good recipe. I think you might enjoy that. You kept it simple. And Virginia and burley usually make a good pairing, and dark-fired or Cavendish make a good condiment.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I find it takes about a fortnight for a melding of the flavours to begin. That’s not to say it’s not good now, or even when it was first mixed together, just that you begin to taste the sum of its parts, rather than the components more separately.

I think your approach is spot on. Follow your hunch, tweak as needed, observe changes from fresh to a month. Once you have decided upon a ratio you want, mix up as you have and then press (or even vacuum seal) for a fortnight or so. Rub back out and see how you find it then, my guess is that it would taste similar to 6months-2years of letting rest unpressed in a jar