PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
I just got a Peterson rack and a few pipes from the first set. Going to clean em up and enjoy them for a bit. I’m going to make room for a few Ashton’s and Comoys pipes the Fletcher is working on for me. So it will probably change up some. The Ardor is still one of the best smokers out of the bunch.

Attachments

• IMG_3490.jpeg
    IMG_3490.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 55

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
Interesting to see which of the myriad pipes passing through your hands you decide to keep personally

Perhaps you can tell us why you have decided to keep those.
Because of the brand/maker ? The shape ?
Because it is an awesome smoker ?
I definitely come across quite a few pipes. And because of that, my rotation constantly changes.

I have a drawer full of pipes that will replace some of these as soon as they are cleaned/sanitized and so on.

The only ones I’ll keep is the ardor, Dunhill, Ahston and Upshall. And that is just because of how well they smoke. All the rest will be sold down the river when I find something else I find intriguing. Not that they aren’t good smokers, just i have some coming in I want to smoke more than those.

The merchant service pipe and the house pipe I know will be a few years before I come across another one, but I know folks out there would want them for their collection and are probably going to keep them a lot longer then me. So I’ll enjoy them while I have them, but they will be the next to go.

The Sherlock pipes I’ll complete the collection, clean em and smoke them for a bit and sell along.

What about you, do you change out your pipes often, how has your collection evolved?

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Administrator
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I definitely come across quite a few pipes. And because of that, my rotation constantly changes.

What about you, do you change out your pipes often, how has your collection evolved?
Ah, good to come across someone who thinks logically about their collection. And is willing to let go.

I’m a hoarder.
I have great difficulty letting go of my pipes - that’s why I’ve ended up with so many - way, way too many for a weekend smoker

I set out to “collect” old Britwoods.
After realising how many Britwood producers there were, I thought that I’d restrict myself to Britwood Bulldogs. That didn’t work out too well either 😁

Then I saw a few Danish shapes I liked. And fell down another rabbit hole 😏

The main thing is I’ve had a lot of fun along the way. It’s been a great stress buster for me

denholrl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2011
Sub-collections, like your Peterson's Sherlock Holmes group, are one of my favorites ways to collect pipes. I have groups of Peterson's 9BC's and SS 309's as well as a bunch of Ed Burak's Connoisseur freehands.

Reactions: bayareabriar