PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Greetings Pipe-Smoking Community! You may be happy to hear that there won't be a thirty-page essay -- just a brief description and two pics. ;)

My cellar currently comprises 59 unique blends and 9 blending components. I have opened and tried 36 of the blends. My open blends are primarily stored in 8 oz ball canning jars and mylar bags with my 'active rotation' being also in Pocket Jar Max's for more frequent use. This has worked well for me so far. I print my own jar labels (pull image from internet, crop, print, cut out, and adhere with white glue). So far I try to cellar four tins of blends I love and when I need to replenish I purchase a new tin to open so my existing stash can continue to age. This has amounted to 14.3 pounds of tobacco total so far. At my current rate I figure I can smoke for about 4.1 years. :ROFLMAO:

Target Room Essentials 41-quart Under Bed Storage Tub: contains my canning jars and open mylar bags. Note that I actually store this under a bed, so the tobacco isn't continuously exposed to sunlight.

IMG_4599.jpeg

Craftsman Heavy-Duty Latching Storage Tub: contains only unopened tins and heat-sealed mylar bags of tobacco.

IMG_4600.jpeg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Nice work on your starting cellar. You may find it more useful cut down on the number of blends you are cellaring. It will be easier then to collect more of the blends that are left.

Reactions: Manawydan

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Nice work on your starting cellar. You may find it more useful cut down on the number of blends you are cellaring. It will be easier then to collect more of the blends that are left.
Sound advice and hard to do in the moment. :) I don't tend to buy more than one tin of a blend unless I really like it, so the blends that I have 4 tins of are definitely a subset of the open blends.

Reactions: kcghost

PipeMarc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2017
South East
Some have been sharing their cellar set ups on socials lately. Has me yearning to get a proper set up as well. Mine, like yours are in tubs in a closet or stashed out of the light. I have been searching high and low on the second hand sites to find the perfect cabinet/shelf system to display pipes on a rack and jarred blends. Coming to the conclusion I’ll have to buy and modify to fit my needs.

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Some have been sharing their cellar set ups on socials lately. Has me yearning to get a proper set up as well. Mine, like yours are in tubs in a closet or stashed out of the light. I have been searching high and low on the second hand sites to find the perfect cabinet/shelf system to display pipes on a rack and jarred blends. Coming to the conclusion I’ll have to buy and modify to fit my needs.
I had wanted wooden crates with individual cubbies that would perfectly fit the 8oz canning jars I use but couldn't find anything. Muttnchop Piper (YT) made some nice ones from black foam core board, but I haven't gotten up the gumption to try to do the same. So tubs it is for now. At least they also hold the mylar bags and are inexpensive.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
Tubs is what I use for my cellar. I'm not aging anything, but I find what I like, and stock up. When I move into my place, I'll display only my glass jars, of my 4 regular blends. I only have 2 blends in tins (3 or 4 each) and the rest was moved into mylar. When a glass jar is emptied, I dump the mylar Into it.