PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
So far to date all I have are rasps and files to carve with, so keep that in mind. Im going to put pics as I make progress this post will have the block as it looked in the amazon add I bought it from.10158

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Here is the block after working on it with rasps I bought at harbor freight.

Looks better in the picture. I nicked the shank a couple times even with it covered with electrical tape. I didn't like how small it was anyhow so I'm working on ideas to splice a stem over it. The catch it the silly stem it came with is as narrow as the shank, so I'll have to carve that down to fit anyhow. At leasts the damage I did will be fixed

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
So, I havent posted over here in a few days. I have the project complete and I must say I am quite pleased. I made some rookie mistakes to be sure, but I have a pretty nice looking pipe as a finished product. Ill post just a few pics of the progress and completion.

Almost shaped

Shaped, and shank built up (cut it too thin and boogered it)

Sanding nearly done, this was 320 grit (I actually went to 2000)

Left side finished product. This side has the best grain.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Oh I forgot to add, I did break down and buy the sanding and polishing bits for my dremel. I used the drum sanding to shape, and the wool rounds to polish. I also bought a cheap palm sander and strapped it to the shelf on my bench, instant power sanding that is gentle enough for finish work.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Well TBH I don't know the shape either. I'd call it an apple, or my name for it when my wife said "I like that don't change it" a handball. She gave me that statement when I discussed taking the walls down a bit and giving it an egg shape closer to a more traditional pipe shape.

Reactions: Mr.Mike

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
You didn't "attempt" to carve a pipe. You carved a dang pipe! Well done. Any tips for other first-timers?
Go slow, don't be afraid to screw up because you will, and ask lots of questions in places like this. Take lots of breaks between steps to clear your mind and refocus.

Truthfully I think minimum tools is the rasps and files I used, a palm sander was nice but not totally required if you don't mind taking extra time sanding, and my Dremel was instrumental in me not screwing it up worse because my rasps and files are just too big to get the delicate work done.

Oh, and don't be afraid to experiment a little. The stain on that looks like any other pipe. I made it with food coloring and 91% rubbing alcohol. (Didn't want to wait till the 15th to order / buy some leather dye. Besides, this was my experimenting pipe carve.)

Last edited:

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Not bad at all for a first attempt! I’d have likely bought a few starter blocks and reluctantly shown off the last one. No doubt the first few would quietly find their way to the dump.

Hoosier captured it best I think: without a lathe, band saw, power sanders, and most importantly years of experience — extremely nice!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.