Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SSGT.

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2024
Sealy Texas
My new Estate Falcon arrived today and had my first bowl of C&D"s Red Virginia to complete a day of first. Both were enjoyable, how about a little advice from the Falcon guys on how to care for the pipe, I think it has become my work pipe light weight and durable.
falcon (2).jpg

JoeW

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
Falcon care is easy. I unscrew the bowl and wipe it out with a paper towel, especially the hole at the bottom. I usually clean out the stem with everclear, a pipe cleaner, and more paper towel to get the gunk out. Takes me only a few minutes.

Enjoy the Falcon!

Reactions: buroak and edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Try to keep the hole in the bottom of the bowl from buildup. I use a very sharp penknife very very very gently to scrape the hole. Do not open the hole with aggressive scraping as the relationship between the “post” in the humidome(stem) and the hole in the bowl control the pipes draw.
I’ve been smoking Falcons since 1972 and I think they are great!
Oh, and tapping out ash midsmoke can cause the moisture to run back up into your tobacco! I don’t use those pipe cleaner rings, but if you do they will absorb most of the moisture.
Also go easy on torquing the bowl threads. Enjoy your Falcon.

Reactions: Elric and JoeW

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
I don’t have much to add to the cleaning advice, but never forget this: the stem is not removable.

I do use the pipe cleaner rings, but I make my own. I typically also drop some Nording Keystones into the bowl’s “hole” to keep ash or finer tobacco from clogging up the space between the bottom of the hole and the raised center of the humidome. That practice has made an already great smoker into a champion of consistent burn and few relights.

SSGT.

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2024
Sealy Texas
Try to keep the hole in the bottom of the bowl from buildup. I use a very sharp penknife very very very gently to scrape the hole. Do not open the hole with aggressive scraping as the relationship between the “post” in the humidome(stem) and the hole in the bowl control the pipes draw.
I’ve been smoking Falcons since 1972 and I think they are great!
Oh, and tapping out ash midsmoke can cause the moisture to run back up into your tobacco! I don’t use those pipe cleaner rings, but if you do they will absorb most of the moisture.
Also go easy on torquing the bowl threads. Enjoy your Falcon.
As you know I'm new to the Falcon world, just 3 days into it and was wondering if they tend to get hot or is it the way I'm smoking? Mine doesn't get extremally hot but it's a little hotter than my briars and a lot hotter than my Meers.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
As you know I'm new to the Falcon world, just 3 days into it and was wondering if they tend to get hot or is it the way I'm smoking? Mine doesn't get extremally hot but it's a little hotter than my briars and a lot hotter than my Meers.
How hot the smoke is primarily up to you and your technique. However, aluminum is a great conductor of heat so you may feel it in the stem. I tend to “sip” my smokes so heat is rarely an issue, and Falcons are some of the coolest pipes out there.
Welcome to Falcons: the Nash Ramblers of tobacco pipes!

Reactions: Elric and SSGT.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I love my one and only Falcon.
Now for a very sad story that is very difficult to tell.
At one time I had 13 Falcon pipe's and 30 or so bowls. I bought a few online, was gifted a few and found a couple at garage sales and junk shops. I gave a couple away...yada..
When we were moving into our current home in 2017, my wifes aunt and uncle came from Phoenix to help us, we are in WNY.
We were moving from one house to another on the same property, so we just used pickup trucks.
Anyways, after the aunt and uncle got home, they called to say they found a box of pipes in their truck. It was all my Falcons...except one.
No problem, they sent them in the mail, insured. Well, the box was hopelessly lost in the mail and after a long wait, I recieved $100 from the insurance.....$10 per pipe......or so uncle Mark said, I believe he just gave me the money out of guilt. :)

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Welcome to the flock!
I really enjoy my Falcon, it has become my main travelling pipe.
I make my own filter rings. The pipe is easy to keep clean just a couple of passes with a pipe cleaner and wipe out the socket and bottom of the bowl before installing a new filter ring.