PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am gonna break down and get the Beall system to polish my pipes. So I just need a motor to use it with.
My question is, can I use the motor in the link below? Can I just wire a plug to it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3-HP-Direct-Drive-Blower-Motor-MARS-10585-115-VAC-3-Speed-1075-RPM-6-1-Amp-/121015883551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2d1bd71f

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I don't know enough about wiring to correctly advise you on that. But, the specs look good. My concern would be how to mount it. Many motors come with feet so it can be bolted to something or sit on a bench, etc. I'd have to scratch my head on how to mount that one.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks Al. I have the mounting issue figured out. For this motor I was going to create a cradle out of wood and a metal strap to hold it all together but I have actually found another motor that is cheaper and already has the mounts attached to the motor case. But, I am still at my initial conundrum.
I am just not an electrician of any kind. I was actually a bit bummed as I was already to pull the trigger on the Beall system and a motor until I realized it wasn't as simple as "plug and play."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Search for my threads on the buffing motor. Mine was throwing my garage breaker and I thought that I had a wiring issue. A few folks posted some simple schematics. I just wired a toggle on/off switch to my housing. Turns out I did have it wired correctly, but have a weak GFI circuit in the garage. Good news on your alternate motor, a cradle would have worked, but your new motor sounds like a simpler solution. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.