PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
Hey guys... i bought a little bent bulldog pipe off ebay to use as a knock around pipe for fishing and such. The pipe was in need of a good cleaning so i took the normal route, 3 salt treatments for the bowl, 2 oxy baths for the stem and two retorts til the alcohol came out nice and clean. The pipe turned out very nice, i was so pleased with myself on my first restore.....until i put the pipe to my lips. it has a faint "musty" tasting draw to it, i did a couple more retorts but cannot get it to go away. any suggestions as to what i need to do to help this pipe out? or am i just being picky and really its clean, just need to smoke a few bowls through it re break it in??

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
just need to smoke a few bowls through it re break it in??
That's what I'd do, but I'm no expert on the matter. All the estates I've picked up were in great conditions and needed little to no restore.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
thanks, ill just suck it up and smoke it a couple times to see whats up. i an inhaler and couldnt get the thought of moldy spores intering my lungs..thought id better ask for some advise before i stared smoking it lol

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
Thanks, i dont believe this particular pipe is worth the investment of an ozone treatment, although i hear good things about the process and wal,ker briar works. i got it for a couple bucks and wanted to see if i had the knack for restoring or not. i have other pipes ofcourse and i am not too dependant on this little guy. so no worries if it manages to fall in the trash lol

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
After all that cleaning, I'd say just run a couple of bowls of a nice heavy latakia blend through it. That should knock it out.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
the closest thing i have to a heavy latakia right now is some epiphany. i give it a go...thanks

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Sometimes a old home remedy is cheaper and effective, soak your stem in a strong lemon water mixture, if your shank is clean that might do the trick Tbradsim the old cajun

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Try some high proof alcohol, just enough to coat the bowl don't soak it, and set it on fire. Do it a couple times then set it aside for a few days. I had to do this on a Sav my grandfather gave me that had been sitting around his house for 20+ years.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I had one like that and came up with a way to make the yuk go away. I used cooking vanilla in the bowl and stem, let it soak for a day then cleaned out the stem but just smoked it out of the bowl, it did a good job for Me.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
thanks for all the input guys...any more suggestions are welcome, but i tell ya what i did. I took some listerine and soaked the bowl for a few mins and poured it out the shank, then used a listerine soaked pipe cleaner sit in the stem for awhile and did the same in the shank of the pipe...so far so good i think i solved it. gonna let it sit for a while and dry out and see how it goes. the mustiness seems to have gone away. plus there is a nice little minty freshness to draw lol. that i know i can smoke out. thanks again guys and any more comments or suggestions are always welcome.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Jeez, around here I would be very scared to do something like that, we are at 60-80% humidity all year round pretty much. Putting a product mostly water into a pipe sounds like a sure way to crack the bowel. Some of my pipes crack anyway just from the humidity.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
Wow, never thought of that!! I'll be a little more careful next time. this pipe has become an experiment for me now, so i was just trying whatever. kinda glad it didnt crack though..thinks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.