PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I do this way more than smoking any blends straight. Was wondering if any others do or if I am a oddball.

I will have to actually learn about blending tobacco of my "grow your own" experiment works out next year.

I'm currently enjoying a equal parts mix of Ol Toby,BCA, and Gentleman Caller in my St.Pats cobb. It's pleasant to me!

Cotton1

I do this all the time. One of my personal favorite things to do is add a small amount of a very sweet aromatic blend to a straight burley or Virginia blend that seems a bit blah.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I don't make it a habit because blends are meant to be blends - but I am not opposed to the occasional mixing as with leftovers or just experimenting - When I first started a pipe 5 years ago, I used to do it with Stokkebye bulks - like toasted burley and DFK into the standard blends like the amsterdam or turkish etc... worked well - developed my flavor profiles from it
But tobacco is a lot like spices in food - you can mix them - nothing wrong with it

Jun 23, 2019
Yeah I do that. I have a large jar that I put what I have left over if it doesn't fill a bowl or the last 10 grams or so of a tobacco I'm not bothered about. Shake the jar up every now and then. It's what I smoke when I'm doing bits like washing the car, cleaning the garage ect. I actually quite like it. ??

I call that my "Devil's Blend" - some weeks it's delicious, some weeks it's a sour disaster ?

- - -

I do this all the time. One of my personal favorite things to do is add a small amount of a very sweet aromatic blend to a straight burley or Virginia blend that seems a bit blah.

This is my go-to mixture too: a pinch Shortcut to Mushrooms with a stronger Va/Per.

tmcg81

May 8, 2020
NJ
I mixed 1Q and 5 Brothers in a 60/40 blend and it's pretty great. I also mixed some Sutliff Hot Chocolate with 1Q but I don't think I put enough in to really make a difference.

I currently have a jar that I put about 3.5 oz Sutliff Hot Chocolate, 1 oz of Sutliff Burley, and .25 oz of Sutliff Frosty Mint in. I've been letting it sit and mingle for about a month or so. Not sure what I'm trying to accomplish but whatever it is should be interesting. I'm going to give it a try sooner than later.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, somewhere around here there was a thread with different “mixing” recipes. I believe Tom (mso) put it into good working terminology. Mixing is amateurs taking pro’s “blends” and making their own concoctions. Blending is th e art of taking individual constituent tobaccos and creating a particular flavor. Or something like that. Not wanting to misquote , or misparaphrase if you will, his comments.

Infantry23

Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I was not impressed with Golden days of yore originally and I mixed it 50/50 with Stanwell Vanilla and it is delightful.
I've grown more fond of GDoY but I might mix it with a few other blends too see what happens.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Playing around this morning with mixing some blends. Got my wife's kitchen scales and headed to my stash. Here is what I came up with:

2 grams Crooner
2 grams Orlik Golden Sliced
3 grams Billy Budd
4 grams Boswell's Vanilla Cream
8 grams BCA

Loaded a bowl and am checking it out now. Wish I had a tad less BCA and a tad more Billy Budd.

If I ever figure out where I saw that thread with the press from Amazon I would like to press some and see how that effects it.

All of this is baby steps hopefully in prep for my home grown project for 2021. Thinking about buying some whole leaf next. Will keep looking for that press idea.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Reactions: chopper and Cotton1

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
She ordered it last night. I suppose I will need to make a blank of some sort for it?
Thanks again!