PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Recently placed phone order with P & C
not looking forward to same because of prior problems. Being placed on hold for a long time was ok music was good. The usual monitored for quality of service. Now the order taker accent and rapid fire speech. Then the out of stock on common blends caused adjustment in quality of bulk to meet threshold of free shipping. I changed credit card from a prior order, what a treat. Had address repeated of course it was correct. I will be surprised if the order arrives at all let. alone correct. Don’t want entry level employee job effected by complaint. Am I just an old cranky fart or is this common?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Can you simply order via internet? I've never had a problem that way with P&C and they seem to show what is and out of stock on the site pretty accurately, but I've only ordered a handful of times. I can't remember the last time I placed a phone order with anyone other than Wilke.

Reactions: twoonefive

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Why would you call in? FWIW I've never had an issue with them. Guess I am lucky. Only thing to mention is packaging could be better.

Reactions: twoonefive

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
These days I sell airplane parts at a desk. Many of the customers have been flying for 50 or more years. Some have never used a computer before in their life.

Ive heard of everything from the angry customer who refused to use a credit card and we lost him as a customer for life ( untill the next week) , to the guy that was so appalled by the fact that he had to pay for the part before he got it?

Point to the story is some people just like things a certain way, and thats ok. But smokingpipes has never failed me. It's ok if it's someone new with an entry level job taking orders. I mean how else do the professionals start out?

Actually now that i re read your post, I'm not exactly sure what the complaint is about?

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
My complaint is the time needed to complete, repeating over and over the product name and amount, language difficulty, phone quality, adding up Amt. calculation, change of bulk individual item to cover out of stock item to get free ship. Will try on line in future now that I have been trained by the outfit not to phone in.

• Haha
Reactions: timelord

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Online orders have worked okay for me. Now, I'd think twice about ordering by phone. Sometimes PC has good deals or unique items, and I've done okay with them. Russ is a talented blender, so he tips the balance.

Reactions: Reggie

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Their online interface isn't great to use to begin with so I would just assume calling in an order would be even more tedious. Frankly, I wouldn't have bothered because of that. There's nothing they carry that I can't find elsewhere or live without.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I had a similar problem with a call in order. Got an email that said 10% off entire order. They also had a good sale on Peterson tobacco. Couldn't get the 10% to register online so called in. After 10 minutes or so they had the order right and all my information. It arrived with no problem, but dealing with the person on the phone was tedious. It was worth the money saved though.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Ive heard of ... the guy that was so appalled by the fact that he had to pay for the part before he got it?
Supposedly this isn't that odd. I've seen old threads on these very forums mentioning a lot of pipe shops who would take orders over the phone, send you your order, and then expect a check in the mail once you received it! Seems crazy nowadays.

Reactions: didimauw

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
I’ve done online orders from them many times. A big fan of Russ’ blends. Hard to beat their prices on bulk Sutliff and others.
Have only had one issue with some damaged tins. Called, got a very nice lady who sent new tins out the same day. Didn’t ask for pictures or the dented ones back.
Perhaps I’ve been lucky. But I never am anywhere else so probably not.