PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
As a man who believes that a good cup of coffee and a pipe of Prince Albert is the perfect match. For many years this was my beginning of the day routine. Unfortunately when they moved operations for Prince Albert and Carter Hall to the Dominican Republic I noticed a decline in taste and quality. My morning buddy did not have much to offer me, so it got pushed back on the tobacco shelf. Luckily while ordering Colonial Pastimes from Milan Tobacconists in Roanoke, Va, I noticed they had made their own versions of Prince Albert and Carter Hall. I was not expecting much because I had been disappointed in the past with a Match Prince Albert and Chatham Manor. To my surprise Milan's our Prince Albert was very good. I ordered more and it is now once again part of my morning routine. I thought of @didimauw when I was smoking a bowl of Milan's our Carter Hall and believe that he would appreciate their version. Every ones taste buds are different, but for me I will continue to enjoy Milan's our Prince Albert and Carter Hall. They have many very good blends with Colonial Pastimes being one of my every day smokes. It is a good cross over blend. I hoped this helped some people to once again enjoy their old time favorites.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
Well damn I'm intrigued.

The Carter Hall from Dom Rep is terrible. I'll still smoke the 5 tubs I have, but only when I run out of C&D. Which I assume won't ever happen. Lol.

I noticed the change immediately. I was consistently buying tubs for years up till that point. Maybe it's the climate over there, but something changed immediately, and for the worse.

And I hated Catham Manor, and 3 other "matches" I've tried.

I'll take a look! Thanks!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I like Milan's version of Kentucky Club Mild very much. I was able to compare it to the original - I had very kindly been given a canister - and found the taste spot on, although I wanted a filter for the original and do not for Milan's. I'll have to try their Prince Al, I enjoy both Milestone and Hillman.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I like Milan's version of Kentucky Club Mild very much. I was able to compare it to the original - I had very kindly been given a canister - and found the taste spot on, although I wanted a filter for the original and do not for Milan's. I'll have to try their Prince Al, I enjoy both Milestone and Hillman.
I thought that their Kentucky Club was very good also. I try to keep a container of it on hand.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
While I haven't tried their versions of Prince Albert or Carter, I have to put in a plug for Milan Tobacconists.

I don't see their blends mentioned very often but the ones I personally have tried are terrific. I discovered this old time tobacconist a number of years ago when I was in Roanoke on business. Friendly, knowledgeable folks who are very helpful.

Over the years I've tried a number of their blends & have definitely found some favorites that I personally recommend. Their Doctor's Orders, Jefferson Street, "Our" London Dock, & Wall Street are all absolutely delicious high quality blends. Definitely worth a try!

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Will have to try them, didn’t care much for the match blends I tried either. I have 3 tubs of pre DR, USA made Prince Albert & a USA made Carter Hall.

Side note, Last year met a long time Carter Hall piper in his late 70’s at a local restaurant in Pine Grove, WV. He had a cob stuffed in a shirt pocket, got to talking, turns out he didn’t care for the new CH. Gave him a USA tub I had with me, he was thrilled.