PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
I felt in the mood to mix a bit of tobacco up to see what I could come up with. I decided on the following:

3 parts (15%) GL Pease Laurel Heights
1 part (5%) SG Chocolate Flake (rubbed out well)
5 parts (25%) McClelland Izmir Turkish Ribbon
10 parts (50%) McClelland Blending Latakia
1 part (5%) C&D Perique

Just finishing my bowl; it’s quite nice. It has a sweetness to it which is nice and the smoky Latakia is prominently out front. The Perique is very condimental (sp?) and adds just a ‘hint’ of pep to the blend. It acts like some treble to the sound.

Two lights - a charring light, and the other one and it’s still goin’ strong. I’ve chosen a meerschaum pipe to smoke it in. I think the next bowl will be in a briar pipe and I’ll see if there’s a difference.

The next step will be to mix up about three bowls’ worth and stick it away for a month to try again. See how time affects it.

This turned out to be a delightful bowl of tobacco!

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Sounds like a good old-styled blend. Love that you added some cocoa notes with the Chocolate Flake. That works really well in an English.
I’m sadly lacking in some dark Virginia, or stoved Virginia - that would be in the original trial. I was merely improvising with something as close as I could think that would, at the same time, afford the mixture a certain ‘je ne sais quoi’ to the blend. It worked out well.

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Love me some home blending.

As a Lat Bomb enthusiast, your recipe sounds delicious.
The quintessential English blend has Latakia at the forefront with supporting leaf alongside it, in my opinion. Va’s of various sort, with some Oriental leaf and Perique for a slight, and I mean slight, accent on the blend.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
way too much Latakia for me. I would not be able to taste the other components with that much Latakia—especially if the mix is given a chance to marry a bit. But then I lean towards light English if I’m going to smoke one

Jun 23, 2019
The quintessential English blend has Latakia at the forefront with supporting leaf alongside it, in my opinion. Va’s of various sort, with some Oriental leaf and Perique for a slight, and I mean slight, accent on the blend.

You've inspired me to dig up some of my home blends that I've put away in 2021/22 and kinda forgot about. Probably the perfect time to check on them actually.. .