PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I may not have been paying attention prior to now, but it appears to me that the price of meerschaum pipes has just been impishly bumped up another C-note or so. Correct me if I'm wrong.
100% when I first started pipeing around 2016/2017 I remember the same sellers but much lower prices. At that point Mcclelland was going under and I was just a meer baby (pun intended). You can still find good prices but for the most part quality meerschaum is becoming more pricy.

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Meerschaum has gotten more expensive but good deals are still out there if you look. I would say Altinay in particular has gotten outrageous but if they’re selling pipes at those prices more power to them.
Oh yeah, I agree. I'm a free marketeer in the extreme. But I'm done. I've got two, so that's enough.

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
I don’t doubt it, everything else is. Nording Pipes are up about 50$ a piece on many, not a steal anymore IMO. But here‘s the crazy thing, it’s called supply and demand, if everything is expensive including basics like food and gas, and consumer spending is down, shouldn’t prices drop because expensive items aren’t selling? But they aren’t,,, ok?

Reactions: JOHN72

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Yes!!
I was shocked when a guy asked if $400 was expensive for a "new old stock" SMS pipe.
Before I responded with "THATS AN ABSURD PRICE!!!", I decided to look into it.
Well, that is in the realm of a decent Meerschaum pipe these days.
Back when I was buying them, $150-$200 was about top price for the mid grades like SMS.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Yes, prices have risen with Meerschaum pipes and demand has also risen from what I’ve seen over the last few years. Prices in general on everything in many/most things have shot up over the last few years…May level off, but not likely decline unless there is another flub up by the government or 🏦s. ☕

Reactions: JOHN72

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I think its in line with inflation. Government inflation numbers are nonsense. In the past three or four years life has gotten at least 20-30 percent more expensive. I sure cant raise my prices to match.

Roach1

Nov 25, 2023
Germany
This guy has good prices. Saw him on Flatcap pipers Chicago Show Video.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I compared my 1970's salary and meerschaum cost with today 's dollar value I really doubt I'd see much difference. I purchased car a couple years ago that cost as much as my first house. Wages/costs of materials, etc. go up, and consumer has to foot the bill, just the way life goes. Owners, stockholders and such want a return on their moneys invested. Your choice as a consumer, especially if you live under the mean in your area, is to make yourself more valuable to your employer, seek a new, higher wage or, simply reduce your expenses, eat less, get a couple more years out of the current vehicle, second job, and so forth. It takes work and knowledge to stay ahead of inflation. Not much point in even acknowledging price increases if you aren't doing all you can to stay ahead of the curve. Well. we bitch and complain but, that really doesn't put more money in your wallets.

If you are young, make plans, save/invest and get ready for your so called "Golden Years." You are, after all, the only one who really cares about you or can plan for your future..

dottlejockey

This guy has good prices. Saw him on Flatcap pipers Chicago Show Video.
He does have good prices and i have one on the way as of a few days ago. One thing i noticed though is you have to watch the pics carefully for quality, thickness of bowl, overall size, etc. I'll report on the one i get. Not sure how the internal engineering is on them. Do you have one?