Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayniehoff

Lurker
Dec 12, 2017
Hi!
I bought these 3 meerschaum pipes off craigslsit a few years ago, a steal at $150! There is no signature on any of them, there is an inscription on one the the boxes, W.B.C., and one of the cases has rusty latches, maybe indicating age? Can anyone tell by the look of these pipes who the possible maker could be or any other thoughts on them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b2rsbgc3s1wx7jl/AADbckV3Yzy19eSO2V8ZCfxTa?dl=0

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Unless it's molded plastic, I'd say you got a helluva deal!
huZ0Oy3XzPbyqJlIA6CAkquf6OoflOt7c9xOPfzBLzw

jayniehoff

Lurker
Dec 12, 2017
The tenons are plastic. The tenon connecting the bowl to the stem were broken on the Skull & Lion pipes, but a pipemaker in Michigan repaired them. They are definetly block meerscahum. The craftmanship on skull pipe was a bit wonky, the bottom of the bowl was lower than the draft hole and on one side the carver carved slighty into the bowl chamber at the bottom of the teeth. I made a paste with charcoal and filled the bottom of the bowl and filled in the opening, it is a nice porous block though, and smokes great.
The carving on the Bacchus is very nice, it is going to take forever to color this one, it seems like the meerschaum on this one is a bit harder, also the pipe becomes hard to keep lit on the lower half of the bowl. The box is stamped W.B.C., do you think that could be the maker initials, or the person who bought the pipes?
THe lion pipe, is very well made. The meerscahum on this one is very porous and soft, from the first smoke it had a sweet, complex smoke, and the stem is coloring fast. I do regret smoking this one a bit, but I think it will look better used and colored. Not the most practical pipe though, I can't see the bowl over the sculpture, so I have to light it in a mirror!

Status
Not open for further replies.