PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I was reading an article about how years ago smokers put small coins or silver buttons in the bottom of the pipe to aid in coloring and when I got my new poker I decided to give it a try. I had a lone philtpad stone that I used for ten or fifteen bowls but then it crumbled away on me and my B+M doesn't carry them anymore.

As a replacement I used a regular deck screw head with groves filed into the sides. First I heated the head red hot for about 20 seconds to burn off any coating it may have had. I remove it for cleaning and haven't had any issues with it sticking in the bowl.

Since adding it I've noticed zero affect on the flavour of the tobacco but since starting with the "bottom button" I have noticed this pipe coloring faster then my other meers, and I don't have any tiny tobacco flakes getting sucked through the stem.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I have done the same with one of our not so valuable Euro Cents. I drilled four holes into it (sorry for that Brussels) and stuck it into the bowl. Up to now I can´t see an acceleration of coloring but the walls of the bowl are very thick too. So it´s wait (or smoke) and see....

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I wrote about this at length on 'all things cutty' and posted pictures of the things people stuck in the bottom of pipe bowls 100+ years ago!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I wrote about this at length on 'all things cutty' and posted pictures of the things people stuck in the bottom of pipe bowls 100+ years ago!
Simon, where do you think I got the idea in the first place?!? Great blog by the way!!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Just google it and you will find it - pretty well read and has a massive advert for Pipes Magazine on it so its not difficult to find!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I check it regularly for updates but the writer seems like a busy man...... Where's that War Horse Plug?!? :mrgreen:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I actually have up load my take on the Chicago Pipe Show and some very exciting 'Cutty' news for all you fans of this pipe style.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm still searching for that perfect cutty for me. Meer, small bowl, 4" long or shorter, slight bend. It will be the pipe to end all PAD once I find it.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
It leaves a small space at the bottom of the bowl for "juice" to gather. Plus it prevents carbon "cake" from building below the button that would hinder the meer absorbing the tar and juice that cause coloring. At least that's my figuring.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here are few of the items I have yanked out of the bottom of the bowls of old meerschaum pipes over the years that have been used as coloring buttons! The list is not exclusive nor limited but includes brass buttons, steam bolts and a rather rare Victoria porcelain pipe plug.
IMG_1841_zpsa3d9lgsv.jpg

IMG_1839_zps1xnvvt36.jpg

IMG_1836_zpspj8grqgv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.