PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Here is a bent Dublin, not just a bent stem, but a real bent Dublin. The tiny pock marks within the Meer block are mystifying. I sanded and sanded and they remain. As well as the off-white coloring that I can't explain since I have absolutely no experience with Meerschaum other than my own experience. Could be the age of the blocks?? I don't know. I should have shaved a bit more off the sides, but I've found working with this stuff is so quirky, it's very easy, (within half a blink of an eye) to go too far, beyond the point of no return with this stuff. It's almost as soft as chalk.
I also textured the rim just because I thought it would look cool.
It's very light, weighing in at 35grm 1.2oz
It has a good sized bowl: 0.81 13/16" ID
Bowl depth: 1.5"
Anyway, here are a few pics FWIW

qxGb6mw.jpg

WbyJfSu.jpg

kXelhyJ.jpg

cYLzzm3.jpg

PVYGwjS.jpg

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
CB, You have to rough up both the part of the delrin tenon that is going to be inserted into the mortise and glued, and likewise the inside of the mortise itself or it won't adhere. Don't use sandpaper. I use an old 6" round file that I sharpened the point on and then make a crosshatch pattern on the part of the Delrin that will be glued, and then I do the same to the inside of the mortise. Some people use a dental hygienist tool with the 90 degree bend because it is handy for reaching into the mortise. It doesn't matter what you use; as long as you scarify the tenon insert and the mortise. A penny nail would work dandy fine.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
DAMM! I meant to say stem, not mortise. The inside of the stem, pre-formed or rod material, that you have drilled to accept the tenon.
I need to engage my brain before my fingers.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
DAMM! I meant to say stem, not mortise. The inside of the stem, pre-formed or rod material, that you have drilled to accept the tenon.
I need to engage my brain before my fingers.
Oh no worries. I knew what you meant. Looks good. I wish mine had a similar mortise & tenon setup. I’m not a fan of the narrow airway in the little Teflon tenon and plastic screw in mortise that you see on a lot of them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I favor simplicity in Meers. That's one handsome Dublin, and the faux plateau on the brim is like a reference, an allusion, to the briar plateau. It's not trying to be that, just nodding to the style. Really fine.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith