PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayhp

Lurker
Feb 12, 2011
Folks, Ive been smoking a pipe for over 25 years.Briars and cobs. I am going buy a meer.

What I really want to know is can you smoke a meer continously? If not, for how long as such.Thanks

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-meerschaum-pipe-experience/

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Fred posted a great article, but unless I missed it the article really doesn't answer the question.
Like any pipe, you can get moisture accumulation. With a meer much of the moisture is absorbed by the meer itself, but from personal experience you will hit a point where you need to either swab it with a pipe cleaner or let is rest long enough for the moisture to evaporate.
Meers are a good choice for an "all day pipe" in my experience. I just make sure to clean out the inside of the bowl after each smoke so as to not allow any cake to start. Unlike briar, cake can be a pipe killer in a meer as it is harder than the meerschaum and it's heat expansion can crack the pipe (happened to me before I knew better).
I just wipe the cooled bowl with a paper towel, repack, and light.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
On days when I just feel like smoking my meer I usually just let it cool down in between smokes. Between that article and pipetrucker you should know about all you need to know. And technically you can smoke any pipe continuously and never stop but it's not exactly great for any pipe. :lol:

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Mason is correct, the limiting factor on how long you can smoke a Meerschaum is the

quality of the Block, which is why I gave the link to the article. I'm not alone

in having smoked a Meerschaum for a few weeks, 4-5 bowls daily. One thing to

remember is that a Meerschaum can develop a black, tar-like plaque, which will impart

a bitter taste to the smoke. That's why I use a sharp, blunt tipped knife to scrape

any developing cake from the chamber, followed by Everclear, Pipe cleaners and a paper

towel to ream the bowl. Another factor to consider are the blends you smoke. Wet

blends will max the Block's absorption limits faster than tobaccos that are not heavily

cased. Eventually, even a Meerschaum will need a rest.

jayhp

Lurker
Feb 12, 2011
thank you for the article!!! It answered many questions.But it didnt answer my original question.I simply want to know if one can smoke meer, daily,like everyday for a few weeks or more.Then maybe lil rest.To be truthful, Im tired os having to pick a new pipe everyday day

Id LOVE to be able to use same pipe everyday for many weeks

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
The more you read about Meerschaum, the more conflicting the stories get.
From what I've read and from my experience, I would say yes. I've smoked

the same meers pipe 5-10 times/day for several weeks. Just don't let it

get too hot. You should be fine.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I simply want to know if one can smoke meer, daily,like everyday for a few weeks or more.Then maybe lil rest.To be truthful, Im tired os having to pick a new pipe everyday day

Id LOVE to be able to use same pipe everyday for many weeks
In a word, yes. But, that is really going to depend upon how often you smoke it and how moist your tobacco is. A drier tobacco will allow for more frequent smoking without as much moisture build up.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Jayhp writes, "To be truthful, Im tired os having to pick a new pipe everyday day

Id LOVE to be able to use same pipe everyday for many weeks."
One of the guys in the All Things Meerschaum Group on Smoker's Forum has been

smoking the same Pipe daily for the last 6 months or so... The primary factor

in doing so will be the quality of the Block.

jayhp

Lurker
Feb 12, 2011
OK,thanks alot.That answered all questions.I can use a all day pipe. And Im fairly tedious about cleaning so it should work out just fine.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
You're welcome. Puffintuff is correct, there is a lot of conflicting information

available about Meerschaums and their culture. This is one of the reasons why I agreed, at the invitation of the Smoker's Forum Team, to start a group on Meerschaums over 2 years ago, which currently has 307 members. The focus of the group is the result of guys like you & me who want to know more, Carvers, Sellers and Historians on a truly international basis. The article you read can be found as an external link to the Wikipedia listing on Meerschaum. It is the only group devoted solely to the Meerschaum Experience that I'm aware of and has a lot to offer those who choose to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.