PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Got an estate pipe off the ebay. The bowl is meer lined and upon inspection once recieved the bottom of the bowl the meer is cracked badly. Gave it a little once over bowl cleaning and sure enough the all the meer at the bottom crumbled out. So the top half is still meer.
My repair question: should I try mixing up some pipe mud to fill in the bottom of the bowl?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I agree with rothnh. If it 'crumbled' out, it was most likely pressed meerschaum, and wouldn't do

what meerschaum is supposed to do anyway. I'd send it back.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
From my understanding, most meer lined bowls are pressed; simply because colouration isn't really a factor (the briar hides any patina that could develop) and cost is. I have a couple of meer-lined pieces, one of which was suffering from the problem you described. I chose to simply remove the insert entirely, then prepared the bowl with pipe-mud to provide some extra protection against burnout/build up the bottom of the tobacco chamber. I won't say it's the best smoker in my rotation, but it performs admirably as a knock-around pipe with a massive chamber to keep me puffing for hours on end.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Thanks for all the tips guys. I decided to go with Roth & Schmitz idea since I payed less than $10 for the pipe. I removed all of the meer from the inside of the bowl. Gonna hit it with some pipe mud and then its gonna be a PA pipe til its get some good cake build up.
Was saddened to have to do this but the "pro" of all this as Schmitzbitz pointed out is it has a huge bowl on it now. Heres what it looked like b4. I'll see about uploading a present pic ltr.
Thx again gents.
null

Status
Not open for further replies.