PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Hi Everyone

Living in Muslim country is very chalining to any smoker in all kinds , but for us pipe smoker is more than that.

While ejnoying a bowl o stanwel honey and caramel I start thinking of using mediacl alcohol swab for cleaning my pipes but still not sure if it's safe to be used with pipes.

I clean my pipes evey weekend using pipe cleaners which is available withuo any problem but I have seen few pipe smokers in YouTube using 90% alcohol liquid to clean thier pipeswhich I can't get here.
Please advise me if it's necessarily or if there any other alternative which is safe to use.
Thanks in advance

Wasim

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Wasim,
I think you'll find that there is a pretty even split on using the medical alcohol. Some people say that they use it with no problem. Others are not comfortable not using something food grade. Personally, I am in the middle where I use medical alcohol in my stems and drinking alcohol in the stem. There are some real scientists on this site o maybe one of them can tell you something definitively.
Good luck,
Joe

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
If I had both available, I'd use the ethanol every time. However, if the choice was isopropyl or nothing at all, I wouldn't think twice about using the medical alcohol. Just be sure to let it evaporate thoroughly before you smoke it or put it in your mouth.
As Joe said, this can be a divisive issue. Just my opinion.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I use 70% and 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and 95% denaturated Ethanol. No problems. Just make sure you let it completely evaporate before putting things back in your mouth! After all they use the same stuff in hospitals to sterilize instruments. The higher concentrated the alcohol the faster it will evaporate - that's what gives the rubbing alcohol the cooling effect after all.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks all I really appreciate your opinions and advices.

I think I will gona try it on one of my corncup pipes before tuching my brier pipes.

Have nice weekends and happy smokes

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I use 100 proof vodka on my cobs and then let them sit for a few days before I try to refit the bit. The fit can be snug at first but they always rebound. They might not one day but my cobs live a tortured existence and have been resilient thus far.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I use only rubbing alcohol because I am not old enough to buy alcohol, and I think it works fine. I have used drinkable alcohol to clean my pipes and haven't noticed any difference in my smoking expierance

Aug 14, 2012
Medical alcohol will leave a taste. I use 114 proof Perry's Tot Gin, made in Brooklyn. Leaves a pleasant taste. However you will have a problem getting it where you live, so experiment with other things. Maybe aftershave? Cough medicine? Seek and ye shall find.

Status
Not open for further replies.