PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I'm curious to try the famed honey-wine, but I don't know where to get it. ABC, or what?

Also, any suggestions on brand or type, or whatnot?

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I can only attest to its potent beauty. At the last medieval market I went to I "got on it", rest assured it was a good day, night , next three :twisted:

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
dang... that sucks, as I haven't seen any medieval markets round here of late. :cry:

mike68

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2011
Tried some at one of the Ren' Festivals a couple of years ago, tasty stuff...I've not shopped for it but what they were serving was from wine looking bottles so I would guess an ABC or something would carry it...good luck finding it and let us know what you think!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Mead is actually pretty easy to make yourself, I know I'm not the only one on this board who has a dummy-john or two hidden away in the basement, garage, or shed.
A very simple to follow, basic honeyed-mead recipe can be found at Epicurious.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The best mead you will ever drink is that which you brew yourself. Mead is one case where home made trounces all the avaiable store-bought stuff in taste and complexity. Here is a free RECIPE I list on my site which is an axcerpt from my book, Brew or Die!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
The best mead you will ever drink is that which you brew yourself. Mead is one case where home made trounces all the avaiable store-bought stuff in taste and complexity. Here is a free RECIPE I list on my site which is an axcerpt from my book, Brew or Die!
Yes!
Cool stuff man; I'm going to give your recipe a run when I next brew up a batch - I'll let you know how it turns out for me!
Your book sounds pretty damned interesting too, I've gotta say.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
There's a lot of fun stuff in that book, including some stories where names had to be changed to protect the guilty. It was my second book. I'm working on some fiction right now. There's also a Zombie serial on the site which I update whenever I have time and it's free to read. Just click on the links. Once there's enough content I'm going to publish that as a book too. Right now it's free because, though it's cool, zombie epics are so freakin derivative.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I have about 10 gallons of sparkling ginger mead that has been cellared for about 10 years now, I might have to try a bottle of it soon.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I make my own as well. I have never even tasted the commercially available mead. I finish mine dry and then back sweeten if I care to. I usually leave it dry though.
Baskerville: Mead is wine made from honey as a sugar source. Much like wine is made from fermenting grape juice as a source of sugar or beer is made from fermenting grain as a source of sugar, mead is made from fermenting honey as a sugar source.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Alright guys, thanks! I'm surprised so many here are into it. I'll definitely look for those two brands around here Lordnoble, and... if all else fails, I guess I'll try my hand at brewing some up.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
There really ain't nothin' to it. 4lb honey, one gallon warm water. Mix well. Pitch dry yeast packet. In about a month you got basic mead. Not as good as the "Legendary Finsternis Brew" but it is mead and it will still be better than store bought.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My sweetie uses a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that has an opening, and a hose and a secondary overflow bottle. Don't know her recipe though, lol. Ancient Chinese Secret, she tells me. Home made is the only way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.