PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I want to put a little post here to sing the praises of these guys. I have been buying from them for about 8 years now, and have always had great service. I have not purchased a pipe from them, but their house blends are excellent. The various incarnations of Red Ribbon - there have been three, and I have smoked two - are very highly regarded. There are probably 15 tins in my cellar, aging, and I have a 5 year old tin of the 1996 open now. Murdock's Pipe is simply superb, it is one of my regulars. I got some of their Dundee's Blend from the box pass - thanks, Rickpal! - and I have a feeling that is going to become a regular part of my rotation as well.

McCranie's

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Jud - good to know. I've never heard of them before - bookmarked them for the future.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I've been thinking about ordering some of their Murdock's Pipe. I think it's time. Thanks for that little tidbit of information.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Im finishing up some "Murdock's pipe" from 2005 :D ... When I first moved to NC that was the first place I searched out... great people there and very helpful.
I really miss it now that Im in CA. :(

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I now feel compelled to buy 5 tins of the Red Flake. How is the actual strength of the VAs?

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
Their St Alban's Blend sounds intriguing. Anyone have recent experience with it?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
@Pipewife... I really enjoy it... I am currently finishing off my St. Albans Blend as well as my Murdock's Pipe. Both of those were staples when I was living in NC.
Another really good one is their Highland Mixture

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I now feel compelled to buy 5 tins of the Red Flake. How is the actual strength of the VAs?
I don't find them too strong - if by strong you are referring to nic level. I am a nic wuss, and avoid things like Uni Flake, MacB Navy Flake, etc. The flavor is very very good.

I personally think the current batch of Red Ribbon - I have not smoked this edition of Red Flake - is better than the '96. It's not as sharp, although the '96 with 5 years on it mellows out nicely. I am anxious to see what the current crop does with 5 years on it.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I meant strong as in both the nicotine level, and the actual flavor of the tobacco. I guess ranging from let's say Orlik GS to FVF. I appreciate VA's from all ends of the spectrum, but I prefer those in the middle.
And the way you're describing the Red Ribbon reminds me of McClelland's Red Cake. Ay similarities between the two?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I like it that I can walk down to the end of the block and be at their front door.

photo2.jpg

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Lucky man, Hobie!
I would consider Red Ribbon in the middle of the taste spectrum for Virginias. I haven't smoked Red Cake.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Anyone smoked their House Brand pipes? I'm particularly attracted to the Italian-made rusticated lovat currently on the site.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I got some of their Dundee's Blend from the box pass - thanks, Rickpal! - and I have a feeling that is going to become a regular part of my rotation as well.
Glad you liked it Jud!! I also have a cellar full of Red Ribbon and Flake and keep adding more. I get to the Charlotte area 5-6 times a year and a stop into their shop is a must and always worked into my schedule!!!
Chatting with the regulars at the pipe bar is a great way to spend a few hours a night!! :puffpipe:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I like it that I can walk down to the end of the block and be at their front door
But...if your not allowed to smoke it's like living next door to a bordello an not bein able to get it up :rofl:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Still nothing since Aug 16 th
hobie1dog..Please take that as bein a joke(It has to piss you off to no end that they do that shit to you my brother)Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.