PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Most house blends are another blend renamed. Nothing wrong with it.

McCranie's uses every bulk they can find to get as close to their old McClelland house blends as possible. Mainly Sutliff and some P. Stokkebye.

The McCranies themselves are nice as can be and are probably happy to tell you what blend is actually what if you're curious.

Reactions: Zero

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I've had it and thought it was a very solid Va/Per. I put some in a jar and forgot about it for a bit and it was even better after a few months.

If you like Va/Pers, you can't go wrong with it.

Reactions: Zero

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Most house blends are another blend renamed. Nothing wrong with it.
Based on the recent PMRS interview, I would say that this doesn’t seem to be the case with McCranies. They seem to be taking meticulous care to find the highest-quality leaf they can afford to replace (as best they can) the blends lost when McClellands closed and to create new ones. The process is taking many months. They are not repackaging bulks.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Based on the recent PMRS interview, I would say that this doesn’t seem to be the case with McCranies. They seem to be taking meticulous care to find the highest-quality leaf they can afford to replace (as best they can) the blends lost when McClellands closed and to create new ones. The process is taking many months. They are not repackaging bulks.
That's true they tried as best they could to replicate the old McC bulks but they'll tell you some are just 1:1 bulks. Red Stag is TS1R, Bullseye is PS LBF. Again, nothing wrong with it. No point in reinventing the wheel.

Reactions: kcghost

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
According to the younger McCranie on the PMRS they decided to find the best leaf they could find and use it to create new blends. They didn't try to make a different "Red Ribbon" because they knew they couldn't. They're using their time and modest expertise to create different blends that will suit their customers.