PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
So I've mentioned this in other posts but I work near an old, very run down tobacconist where I really don't think they get anything new anymore, save for their bulk blends (even that is suspect). Seems they have a load of old McClelland tins, which I guessing some sales rep unloaded on them years ago.
Some go back 10+ years. Seems they are mostly from the Oriental Mixtures and Personal Reserve lines.
I'm really enjoying trying a lot of different tobaccos lately, and don't want to put all my eggs in the "McClelland basket" but I would be interested in some suggestions about which ones you like.
Lately I'm enjoying English blends and Virginia blends, however I haven't yet tried a VaPer. Not sure if there are any in the stash I noted above.
Appreciate your thoughts...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Frog Morton is a pretty decent English:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=F&TID=768

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
That is one I want to try, but none in the case.
Pretty much strictly Oriental Mixtures and Personal Reserve series.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
As far as the Personal Reserve goes I recommend both Blackwoods Flake (especially with some age) and Dark Star. Also, if you're looking for a Virgina/perique blend you might want to try St. James Woods, also part of the Personal Reserve line. You said you tried the British Woods, which I think is a pretty decent English, although there are other English/Balkan blends that McClelland offers that I prefer a lot more.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
@tedswearingen - which English / Balkans form McClelland do you prefer?

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
I recommend the Oriental mixtures. #1 and #8 are the ones I've tried so far and I really like both of them. #1 is very mild and recommended if you've not had oriental blends before, just to give you a taste without being overwhelmed, IMHO. :puffpipe:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Brown labels, basic Va blends:

#22 & 24 are good if you don't mind rubbing them out.

#25 is rich tasting. Super, but #27 makes a better all day smoke.
Green Labels, Basic Va blends, but tempered with Orientals. The line is described as:

#1 Mild blend, #6 Medium-Robust, #8 Medium-Mellow, #12 Medium-Full, #14 Full

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
Well, maybe that's why there are so many in the case!
Trying the St. James Woods (my first VaPer) now, and am not thilled. It's ok, but really just that...

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey sjolie,

If they've got some old Blackwoods or Dark Star or Christmas Cheer, I'll buy it off of you. I love that stuff.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
Don't be so harsh on McClelland dude.
@oldmaus

Sorry brother....but when I hear that name I get ketchup nausea. :crying: It's the one brand I find absloutely no joy in.
But those big tins hold a good amount of quarters. :D

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Grand Orientals are not to be missed. I'm very fond of yendiji supreme.

I orderd 9 tins just the other day. What are you thoughts on some of the other Grand Orientals ?

I wanted to order some others to try, and will; but needed a stash of favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.