PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So this is the second bowl out of this tin, i opened the tin just about a week ago.

Pipe: 1967 Dunhill Tanshell
Beverage: Community Coffee American Blend black and a glass of water.
Location: outside on a gorgeous morning listening to the birds and watching the squirrels

The first two things that hit me was the ketchup tin note, you could smell it a couple feet away, then again i have a huge nose so your experience may vary, the other thing was how moist the tobacco was. The first bowl i only let dry for about an hour and lesson learned, needed a few relights as i went, which i don’t mind because what can i say when smoking a pipe i enjoy playing with it (phrasing!), this time around i let the tobacco dry on a paper towel over night and it was a much better experience overall.

This started off a little lite, some deep dark fruit, something akin to plumb or maybe fig, and some very lite spice, bits of cinnamon and clove but just floating in the background. It’s worth noting I’m really talking my time with this bowl, barley keeping the ember going and enjoying the light sipping to stoke the fire and coax the smoke, there is something so satisfying and wonderful about that, it’s the gratification of being rewarded with a nice full puff after gingerly working the tobacco. Completely different compared to smoking even the best Cubatobacco 25th.

about 2/3rds through the bowl now and the fruit is now more of a raisin and there is more of a woody earthy note, very enjoyable and a great multi-dimensional smoke.

I’m live reviewing this, which also helps slow down on the pulls and really think about the experience, same way i review cigars, i highly recommend it.

At this point the bowl is almost done and I’m going to just savor the last few minutes.

My first bowl was not nearly this enjoyable, the tobacco was just too wet and it really ruined the experience. Letting this dry a few hours was absolutely the right choice… at least for my preferences.

Is it worth the going rate, well that’s up to you, to me i think there are a lot of blends out there that i enjoy and would probably rather have a half dozen of those tins to the one tin of CC, again like everything else it’s personal preference, for the record no relights this time, i am glad i popped this tin and gave it a chance as it is a very enjoyable smoke and the Tanshell really handled it superbly.

sorry if the review got a bit long, i tend to ramble

15955881-84F7-44AD-A761-0208CADA3734.jpeg6123D2D3-510A-4BBC-AAF9-E02FD40B2D1C.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is it worth the going rate, well that’s up to you
When you get used to buying tons of it during ISPD sales for $10-$12/tin, the resale prices do seem a bit ridiculous. CC is a very good blend though and I even commissioned a pipe just for it years ago. You're review captured it with great detail. ?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
i can see this being a weekend morning smoke, a bowl just to load on occasion, definitely something to take your time with and savor. After the first bowl i tried i was ready to sell this off and just buys a lot of new stuff, but the second bowl had me rethink it, it’s not like i really need the money and it’s not something i can just run out and buy a tin down the street if i change my mind.

i reserve the right ti change my mind again in the future but for now I’m glad i have it and didn’t sell it off.

Maybe next weekend I’ll pop one of the 2006 tins and do a vertical as i understand the years tend to be very different.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Great review! The cost reflects a tobacco that is not only rare but well thought of by many. I pay much much more for some of my cigars I have bought over the years but they are ones that are either limited production or, like CC, no longer available. Your review almost makes me want to try some. Maybe some day ??

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
well thought of by many
While it had its fans while still in production, the clamoring for McC blends didn't start until after they announced their closing. Up until then, many spoke with disdain about their ketchup flavored blends. CC was released between July and August of their respective years and could still be found online the following Spring. McC had a fair following before closing but nothing like they have now. Even 5100 that was little more than a bulk blending tobacco receives high praise.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
While it had its fans while still in production, the clamoring for McC blends didn't start until after they announced their closing. Up until then, many spoke with disdain about their ketchup flavored blends. CC was released between July and August of their respective years and could still be found online the following Spring. McC had a fair following before closing but nothing like they have now. Even 5100 that was little more than a bulk blending tobacco receives high praise.
Yes as are so many other things in life under appreciated until they are gone.