PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
This was my first Latakia. If all Latakia are like this, I am hooked. I am not an experienced smoker, this isn't going to be some profound review that compares this to a wide range of tobaccos. To date, I have smoked mostly aromatic tobaccos. Today I found out what I missing out on by not expanding beyond my comfort zone. The first thing I notice upon opening tin is that this smells nothing like what I have tried to date. It smells of wood smoke and cedar to me, an almost black pepper spice to it. I find this intriguing. On the first light, it is again the smell that hits me. More spice and wood smoke roll over me, the faint memory of BBQ smoke comes to mind. Being a huge fan of BBQ, I begin to salivate just a little. Second light and now my first real taste. The taste lives up to the promise of the smell. So much flavor and somehow the smell just enhances it all. Again I feel like I am tasting hickory smoke and spice, with just a touch of sourness to it all. Some how this vinegar background note unifies the whole taste experience for me. The taste is smooth and even throughout the whole smoke, unlike a lot of the other aromatics I have tried. I get to the end of the bowl and keep re-lighting that last little bit hoping to prolong the experience just a little bit longer. I think I might be in love. I will definitely be stocking up on this tobacco.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
You're hooked to the English Blends now! Me too! Some of the tobaccos smell good enough to eat. I'm a BBQ fan myself; in fact slow cooked hickory smoked BBQ brisket with a spice/cracked pepper rub is probably my favorite food :P .

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
You and I have very similar taste. I love to BBQ. My favorite BBQ is by far is beef brisket cooked low and slow with a simple salt and pepper rub.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Unfortunately, no, but I am pretty sure it is the promised land of BBQ. Always wanted to visit places like Franklin's, the Salt lick, and Kreutz Market. I live in Chattanooga. Surprisingly very little great commercial BBQ here.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
My great-grandfather supposedly moved from near Chattanooga to the Dallas area around 1900. Great varieties of BBQ are everywhere, but I think Texas is home of the BBQ brisket.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
dpkrause:
I'm new here, so forgive my late addition to the conversation. . .
Yes, Bombay Court really is something special. And, no, not all English blends are like it. It's been a couple of years since I've smoked it (I've got a pretty well-stocked cellar to draw from), but according to my notes, it was what I would call a Turkish-forward English. That is, the Turkish/oriental tobaccos are a bit more dominant than they would be in a typical English, which often tend to seek a balance between the Virginias, orientals, and latakia. (McClelland also has some of the best Virginias in the business, and they definitely contribute to the fine quality of this blend.) If you still like this one, you might really enjoy checking out Balkan blends, English blends that put more of the focus on the orientals and the latakia. When a Balkan is good, there's some kind of magical creaminess that happens that I find absolutely enthralling.
Just be aware that not every blend labeled "Balkan" is good. . . and not every Balkan is so named on the label. If you want to explore this area a bit, I'd highly recommend any of the G.L. Pease Balkans: including Charing Cross, Caravan, Odyssey. I also cannot praise McClelland's Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander highly enough; for me, it is stunningly good. I'm also a huge fan of Penzance, which some characterize as Balkan-ish. (It also includes cavendish, though, which I personally don't associate with Balkan blends.) There are also some fine Balkans that include perique, which adds richness and depth. Since I have a bad reaction to perique, I can't smoke it, though, and I can't give you any advice in that area. Maybe someone else. . . ?
Enjoy!
Bob

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Bombay court is awesome. I have a tin of it with 8 years of age on it, that I indulge in once in a while for a real treat. It's by no means a run off the mill English. Bombay Court is very light, smooth and fragrant. Very woodsy and sweet taste. Spiced and a bit herbal. A real good Oriental all around. If you liked Bombay Court, you might also like Frog Morton, 3 Oaks Syrian and Pipeworks and Wilke number 524.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
It's a bit richer - more Latakia, a hint of Perique and by appearance, more dark than light Virginias.

Aug 14, 2012
B. Court is one of the more subtle of the Latakia blends. Quite nice. The B. Court Extra has too much Lat.

Status
Not open for further replies.