PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
For anyone owning an antique table with a lacquer finish, knows that a dab of mayonnaise can do wonders to remove haze or a water ring.

I wondered what it would do on an old pipe where one of the sides has developed a bit of hazing?

Wonders. After 40 minutes, the finish has been restored beyond my expectations.

Wipe on. Let sit. Wipe off and remove the rest with a damp cloth and then dry.

Anyone else try this trick on a pipe.

telescopes

Mayo is basically oil, raw egg yolks and either lemon juice or vinegar. I can think of much better options to shine a pipe.

Full disclosure...I hate shiny pipes. All my smooth finish pipes have had 400 grit taken to them.
What the mayo does and does very well, is remove water moisture that builds up under a lacquer. I have a ming style oriental table with sumac lacquer and it was the best solution for removing heat haze and water rings without the use of sanding. It did it very well and I know others who have used it in the oriental restoration business. I did NOT use it to shine a pipe and no where did I suggest that this is why I did it. The lacquer had developed a haze, as pipe lacquers often do - in one particular place. I want to clarify your comment specifically so that no one reads that I used it to "shine" the pipe. I have better options for that. My goal was to remove buildup from under the lacquer.

telescopes

I expected some laughter... it sounds weird - but having consulted many industry professionals as I looked for a solution to a serious issue with my oriental table - I was assured by all of them that this would most likely solve the problem. And...it did. The water rings never returned - they had resisted other means - and the lacquer is undamaged. A lacquer that is 20 coats deep and made from sumac outside of Xian. My curiosity was what would it do for the haze on a pipe that had a lacquer coat.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
For anyone owning an antique table with a lacquer finish, knows that a dab of mayonnaise can do wonders to remove haze or a water ring.

I wondered what it would do on an old pipe where one of the sides has developed a bit of hazing?

Wonders. After 40 minutes, the finish has been restored beyond my expectations.

Wipe on. Let sit. Wipe off and remove the rest with a damp cloth and then dry.

Anyone else try this trick on a pipe.

But should you leave the pipe out in the sun at a summer picnic after?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
My goal was to remove buildup from under the lacquer.
Are you suggesting that the mayo somehow penetrates the lacquer, and then removes itself and the haze through the lacquer, or that it just penetrates and then both the haze and mayo get absorbed into the briar?

I can't see another explanation.

telescopes

Are you suggesting that the mayo somehow penetrates the lacquer, and then removes itself and the haze through the lacquer, or that it just penetrates and then both the haze and mayo get absorbed into the briar?

I can't see another explanation.
All I know is that it works. Furniture docs and many others have been doing this for decades.

Reactions: JOHN72

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Here is what the almighty internet says about why it works/helps
I tried it on an old table and it helped. In the end the damage was too great so I refinished it.

"Mayonnaise is an effective DIY treatment for water stains because it contains egg yolk, oil, and vinegar. The fat from the egg yolks and oil penetrates into the finish and replaces the moisture from the water stain. Meanwhile, the mild acidity from the vinegar helps break down the stain."

On a pipe I wonder if it was just old wax. If the wax was removed and a new coat applied it may have done the trick also. But I guess mayo might be easier if you dont have a buffer around. Or use renasance wax and hand buff. If it works why not! I prefer Helmans.

Aug 1, 2012
Here is what the almighty internet says about why it works/helps
I tried it on an old table and it helped. In the end the damage was too great so I refinished it.

"Mayonnaise is an effective DIY treatment for water stains because it contains egg yolk, oil, and vinegar. The fat from the egg yolks and oil penetrates into the finish and replaces the moisture from the water stain. Meanwhile, the mild acidity from the vinegar helps break down the stain."

On a pipe I wonder if it was just old wax. If the wax was removed and a new coat applied it may have done the trick also. But I guess mayo might be easier if you dont have a buffer around. Or use renasance wax and hand buff. If it works why not! I prefer Helmans.
Helmans, heresy. Gotta be Kraft. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: lraisch