Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? It's not really an English, nor is it an Oriental . . . . it's one of a kind and it's called Pirate Kake!

It is absolutely superb. If somebody could enlighten me as to what category to put it in, that'd be great.

As I smelled the tobacco, I reminisced about smoking trout in a wood smoker with my mom 50 years ago . . . and the taste was equally nostalgic. Never had a cake tobacco before and I'll get used to the prep, but what struck me is the nostagic quality of the experience.

Needless to say, I'll be ordering another 5 tins or so next month. :LOL: Ho Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!!
bdwbdw

Jon C.P.G.

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2023
Canada
Definitely a Lat bomb, I smoked it a lot for a good bit when I got back into pipe smoking. Last two OZ I mixed with an Oz of Presbyterian mixture and that made it a lot better to me.

Strong latakia blends are good but can burn you out, but if you like Pirate Kake, try Odyssey by GL Pease 👌🏻

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
It’s available in one pound bricks for $59.50, which is substantially cheaper than two ounce tins at $12.50 each.
Not if it don't run the gauntlet lol!! Little and often is the trick!!
With that much Lat, you may find a different blend for your number 1 over time. Anything like that is more of an occasional thing and I couldn’t agree more with Chasing Embers, you may get burned out. Glad you’re enjoying Latakia though. There’s nothing like it.
I'm sure you're right, but for the moment I will revel in it. Have a pretty good selection so sitting on the one is not going to happen. Have too many suggestions from forum members on their way, so I'm sure I'll be enthralled more than once! :LOL:

Oh yeah . . . just lit up Sunday Picnic! Like, Wow! I'll be reviewing my Oriental binge very soon!

mpjetset

Might Stick Around
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? It's not really an English, nor is it an Oriental . . . . it's one of a kind and it's called Pirate Kake!

It is absolutely superb. If somebody could enlighten me as to what category to put it in, that'd be great.

As I smelled the tobacco, I reminisced about smoking trout in a wood smoker with my mom 50 years ago . . . and the taste was equally nostalgic. Never had a cake tobacco before and I'll get used to the prep, but what struck me is the nostagic quality of the experience.

Needless to say, I'll be ordering another 5 tins or so next month. :LOL: Ho Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!!
bdwbdw
Now I think I smell applewood smoke and taste creamy smoked trout. NO chance of finding that in SE Florida. You have reached me over time and space.

• Love
Reactions: gord

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Absolutely love Pirate Kake!!
Second only to C&D Star of the East.
SOTE only has 50% Latakia and is a bit more complex. You can really taste all the components. And, its sold in bulk and relatively inexpensive.
How difficult is it to send tobacco to BC in the mail?
Id be happy to send a few ounces of SOTE your way.

• Love

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Absolutely love Pirate Kake!!
Second only to C&D Star of the East.
SOTE only has 50% Latakia and is a bit more complex. You can really taste all the components. And, its sold in bulk and relatively inexpensive.
How difficult is it to send tobacco to BC in the mail?
Id be happy to send a few ounces of SOTE your way.
There'll come a time when I'll take you up on that . . . I've got quite a store myself of stuff I've collected over the past two years since I got back into the pipe thing . . . . long story. Thanks! I'll keep in touch.

Reactions: Sig

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I'd smoked quite a few blends containing Latakia and other oriental tobaccos during my first 2 learning years, as I sampled as many blends as possible, while maintaining my success rate with the reliable SWR. Then I stopped smoking Latakia. It seemed to have become an irritant to the membranes.
Now, these last couple of months, I've revisited some blends with Latakia and find them to be delightful.
I'm sure my improved over time technique contributes to this phenomenon.
The blends I'm currently enjoying are from Sutliff and are from the Match series. I have several and each has its own flavor. None are distasteful or too irritating, so far.

• Love
Reactions: gord and dcon

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
My experience is it needs a while to dry out. I let it dry for a half hour and that wasn't even close to enough time. Very difficult to keep lit. Of course, the nasty Missouri humidity could be a factor as well. The next time I take a run at it, I'm going to dry it for at least 3 hours and smoke in lower humidity. The taste was phenomenal.

• Love

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
My experience is it needs a while to dry out. I let it dry for a half hour and that wasn't even close to enough time. Very difficult to keep lit. Of course, the nasty Missouri humidity could be a factor as well. The next time I take a run at it, I'm going to dry it for at least 3 hours and smoke in lower humidity. The taste was phenomenal.
Yes - I used to dry my tobacco but not enough. I now dry it longer than before - not to the very dry stage (except for one burley-virginia blend that seems to smoke best that way) but to it's best . . . . each tobacco seems to have it's own spot. Like food!

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I'd smoked quite a few blends containing Latakia and other oriental tobaccos during my first 2 learning years, as I sampled as many blends as possible, while maintaining my success rate with the reliable SWR. Then I stopped smoking Latakia. It seemed to have become an irritant to the membranes.
Now, these last couple of months, I've revisited some blends with Latakia and find them to be delightful.
The blends I'm currently enjoying are from Sutliff and are from the Match series. I have several and each has its own flavor. None are distasteful or too irritating, so far.

Last edited:

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Yes . . . I've had a similar experience this spring. With Latakia oddly enough. I have a few allergies and when the aspens and birches were doing their thing (and probably a few early flowers as well) I had a minor sneezing thing going for about two weeks while smoking a pipe. Nothing in the air now for the past couple of weeks, and I'm back to normal with Lataikia of which I'm a major fan. Nothing but chem trails now that is . . . whatever they mean. . . . . cray