PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I never thought I’d ever hear of something like this living out here as long as I have, since 1991, really sad how Hawaii has been turning out in the past 20 years with crime.

Granted the allure of islands, the pacific, paradise, blah blah blah, will attract people to still come, it’s understandable, but if you really want to visit places that are more island like, and less Westernized, this isn’t the place.

Do yourself a favor, take it from someone who has been here since 1991, look somewhere else for your hard earned money and vacation, like the real islands of the South Pacific, I’ve actually spent a lot of time and lived in some of them.

So here it is, Maui goes Kaboom! 💥 🙄

This is a video, just wait through the commercial at the beginning…

Looks like we have SWAT out there now combing the streets.., 🤨

P.S. Yeah I know Hawaii isn’t as bad as the mainland, but for the population size it is also quite whacked out too! :(

Last edited:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The guy who makes this series of travel videos is quite straight-up about what he sees. No editorializing, political crap, or axes to grind.

His specialty is "off the beaten path" places, and forgotten rural towns.

Recently he decided to fly to Hawaii, rent a car, and document its non-tourist areas:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@georged

All the Hawaiian islands have a lot of differences between them, especially the mentality of the people in various places, it can be quite extreme.

The Big Island, actually called Hawaii, has generations of Hippies, living their hippy lifestyle.

The population on Oahu is insane, it’s extremely overcrowded, in fact all of Hawaii is crowded.

I’m fortunate though, I have a really big yard, a little over 10,000 sq ft. I have the biggest yard in my neighborhood. Nobody has space like me. The land is worth more than the house, around 900K, and in the mainland you’d get this for a hell of a lot less…

One thing not mentioned in the video, and of course you wouldn’t know unless you live here, is the vast majority of homes are built out of wood and are extremely cheap quality and poor construction, even the ones that are also expensive.

Unless you’ve lived here any length of time, then you will never truly know the Vibe of Hawaii. This might be considered a part of the USA, but at it’s heart and soul it is far from it, more like Polynesian, Micronesian, Asian.

Thanks for sharing the video…

P.S. I say to anyone that was dreaming of either that Hawaiian Island Vacation or living here, completely forget about it. Go to the real islands in the South Pacific instead!

Last edited:

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
My wifes aunt and uncle lived in Hawaii for 20+ years. They just recently moved back here to rural NYS.
They say there is a LOT of drug use, mostly methamphetamine and PCP over the last decade. They lived on the big island, relatively near the "tourist" area.
They had a lot of residential theft and car break ins around where they lived. Enough that they hid their cars behind their house, in their yard.
They say when someone calls the police, they are asked if anyone is injured or about to be injured. If the answer is no, it could be a couple hours before the police arrive.
This is just ONE of the reasons they left the island.

Reactions: PipeIT

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
If I wanted a tropical island experience, I'd head to the Caribbean. Probably US Virgin Islands, though have also been to Aruba. Like VI better.