PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I received a nice smoking but very unattractive Masterson recently and decided to try my first attempt at stripping and refinishing,
Here she was:
Original_zps19511f75.jpg

And here are the results. I'm not pleased, but it's not a very attractive block of briar. The grain isn't pretty at all and maybe I didn't do enough sanding.
Any way you look at it, if you put lipstick on a pig you've still got a pig wearing lipstick.
Redo1_zps593f6a78.jpg

Redo2_zpsdb8b5001.jpg

Redo3_zps21e21165.jpg

But, she's my pig. And every first time out of the chute has got be a learning experience.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
nice resto job tho. looks better than it did before. if it smokes well thats all that matters

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I can see why you may not love this pipe (it's not bad really). Nevertheless, you did a great job restoring - night and day difference - I would be very pleased. The other question is - how does she smoke?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
@Six: She's a great smoker. I had some Anny Kake for the first time last night and this Israeli burner pulled the short straw.
@Rest of You: Thank you for the kind words. I do find encouragement in your comments. (I never would've tried this if I hadn't started hanging around here.) However, I've got a Comoy Blue Riband that needs a professional's ministrations. I don't have the sand, stones or chutzpah to even think about doing that one on my own.
@Ed: The DG Berwyck you returned to me was so well done and I'm grateful. Thanks, too, for the extra lick you gave that stem on your wheel. I can use it to shave by.

Status
Not open for further replies.