PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickg

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
Is there a way of telling if a pipe is mass produced? I have some pipes that just say "Imported Briar" and some that just say "Hand Made".

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's been my experience with "Imported Briar" and "Hand Made" markings on pipes.

I would say they are both "Mass Produced".

The low costs of production will also be an indicator of "Mass Produced" pipes.

Speaking in very general terms; a pipe actually made by hand (one at a time) will be more expensive.

If the pipe is "Mass Produced" a production run of pipes may be entirely "Hand Made" but a number of pipes are processed in steps. e.g. Drill a batch, then shape that batch, then fit stems, then stain the batch, then polish the batch.

I am not saying that pipes produced in runs equates to lower quality, by any means.

Just that "Mass Produced" and "Hand Made" pipes may mean the same thing.

However; if the pipe says "Imported Briar" (IMHO and my experience) equates to lower quality.

That's just my opinion, and not to be construed as fact.

I'm sure others will have differing perceptions.
Edit: One other observation that had occurred to me while I was typing the above.

A higher quality pipe will generally have the "Brand Name", sometimes a "Style Number", and in the case of Cavicchi (maybe others) the grade of the pipe. That being said: There are some very high quality Mass Produced Pipes but they are unlikely to have generic markings. So, general/generic markings e.g. Hand Made, or Imported Briar will also indicate mass production and generally lower quality (in production quality "control").

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
no way of telling for sure, but you can assume that about 90% of them are mass produced...but it still takes someone to shape and fit it out.....I know of no pipe that is all machine made.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My rule of thumb is less than $150 is probably machine made; over $400 had better be hand made. There's a bit if wriggle room in those numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.