PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantra1

Lurker
May 20, 2014
Hi, I just moved to the Clarksburg area and was looking to join a pipe club or get one going. I know there are few around but they are too far away. Looking for either Clarksburg, Frederick, Rockville, Germantown etc. anyone have info or interested let me know.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I'd like to be proven wrong, but you may have to travel a good bit just to find a decent (pipe-friendly) tobacconist, let alone any clubs.
Good luck in your search. Sadly, in and around the Great People's Republic of Montgomery County, your time would be better spent searching for unicorns or dodo birds.
Anyone?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As jmill208 states, Maryland isn't very tobacco friendly...sorry...
I'm up in Hagerstown. Faders, which has two Baltimore locations, hosts the Baltimore Pipe club. I believe they meet at the Catonsville location. I've never been to that club, but know a few guys who belong.

www.faderstobac.com
There isn't anything in Frederick.
I belong to the Winchester VA Pipe Club, which meets on the first Tuesday of the month at the JB Hayes shop in Winchester.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
I live in Frederick and the Davidus here has a cigar lounge but I don't know if they allow Pipe Smoking. I've never been there. My friend sent them an email asking about it but they never replied so I suppose that means no.

I'd be interested in helping getting a club going here in the Frederick area or joining if one already exists.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is a new Cigar place in Frederick, "Quartermasters" on East Street. One of my car-club buddies is going to have a cigar night for the car club (British car club) and I asked if a pipe smoker was welcome. He said they were. Here's a post about them on Puff.com:

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/maryland/334759-frederick-city-md-quartermasters-cigars.html

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Very good. Sounds like now I've got something to do tomorrow. I'll check it out and if you can post the info on the cigar nite that'd be great.

Thanks

Jan 8, 2013
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I grew up out there, matter of fact my mom still lives in Hagerstown, thats where I went to high school. Haven't been home in years, aside from briefly, but my brother lives in Laurel, and he can't seem to find much of squat in the way of pipe stuff where he is at either. Maryland has always been pretty anal, it doesn't shock me much to hear tobacco is a rarity.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Fader's has 4 stores in MD. They just opened their 4th store right near Annapolis Mall. I stopped by the Towson store this past Monday. It's ashame but their tinned tobacco is about double what the etailers charge. Same goes for their bulk. They have a tasty "Danish Cavendish" bulk blend but $70.00/lb is a little ridiculous.
There is also a tobacco shop in Bel Air. It used to be a Faders but when they decided to close it, the owner bought them out and opened his own store.

Jan 8, 2013
What about crossing into WV? There has got to be a club on the eastern side that shouldn't be more than an hour from any of you guys. The laws over there are a little more relaxed about tobacco.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Visited Quartermaster Cigars today. Very nice & roomy place. Sitting areas inside & out. Spoke with the owner, he said they've Ben open 3 months. The place is full Friday, Saturday & Sunday...standing room only according to him & the rest of the week is slower. Pipe smokers are welcome & he's going to start carrying Pipe Tobacco & Pipes starting in June. The other good thing is the shop is located next to a very good restaurant so you could make a very convenient evening out .

Definitely a good place for a pipe club meeting in the Frederick Md area.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Btw, if anyone's interested in getting together for a bowl or two some evening, just let me know. I'm always happy to meet fellow pipe smokers.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
How about Wednesday 5/28 Or Thursday 5/29 evening? Those are the best days for me this week.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
I have the luxury for working from home & seldom travel so let me know what works better for you.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I live in Cheverly, Md. The SmokeShop in Annapolis has been in business since 1948. Don't think they got that seniority by sticking people and the owners are welcoming. Unfortuanately, they have only 800SF in the store. BUT, nothing stopping interested parties in meeting up monthly at one of the nearby eateries in Annapolis, then ambling over to sample some bowls and stockup on some custom blends.
Also, there is Drapers in Bethesda, Montgomery County that offers a lounge, multiple big screen tvs, and lockers for smokes and booze. They had a BYOB operation until the jackboots got their panties in a twist. Essentially, their operation was perfectly legal but the cops said cease and desist and or they would harass them to death. With all the freaking crime on the streets, they actually sent in under-cover cops.
I'm beginning to think the 60's hippies weren't completely clueless about the establishment after all. And this coming from a vet and former law enforcement officer, short as it was.
There are at least two other cigar lounges around Deal, Md and in Anne Arrundel county. Like most tobacconists today, they sell a few pipes and blends as a supplemental part of their business. But they are large enough to support a meeting.
Here is an idea. How about a Maryland pipe smokers at large club? We could roam the state, meeting at different establishments once a month? We could call ourselves Smoking Circuits, like circuit judges. Any takers?
Could also HERF at members homes. Bring your pipe, a beverage and a couple of blends to share to the host home. I've hosted cigar herfs and would be willing to do the same for pipe smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.