PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Okay. I have been thinking for a while now that I want to carve my own pipe. I have been carving for a long time, since I was a little cub scout. I am no expert, but most can see what I was going for. Me being me, I don't want to buy a predrilled briar kit. I want to make it out of a different type of wood, preferably something readably available at a hardware store or craft store. Any suggestions??? Something that won't make me sick.
Also, where can I order some stems that would go with my theme of cheap but quality?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cherry makes a very nice pipe . I have done several. Apple is also good. For stems go here: http://www.pimopipecraft.com/ About the only place offering single stems cheaply. Most places require you to buy a dozen vulcanite stems.

wizbang

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2011
Good luck eagle. When you finish your pipe, please share a picture with us to show off your work.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Excellent idea, if you have the time.

I always liked the pipes that have a "face" of something or someone carved on the bowl.

The sky is the limit for creativity.... :clap:

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
See juozpas, that is why I love pipes! Because everyone and be right and wrong at the same time! ;)
I HATE pipes with faces in them :nana: I can't stand them, I think they are gaudy and ugly! But that doesn't take anything away from the fact that you like them!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I recommend the book from the Pimo site that UncleArthur suggested. Good luck on the carving. I can't carve to save my life, but I am fairly good at turning. That is my prefered method of making pipes.
Winton

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the link unclearthur. Killed two birds with one stone with that link. I think their book is def something to add to the library.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
All this is reminding me that I should really carve a pipe of my own. In fact I think I need to.
Carving pipes, growing and blending my own tobacco...you guys are only adding to my hobby problem.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I guess the good news is that when I've retired I'll have no shortage of things to do.

But until then I'll just be scrambling to find time for everything. :lol:

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Sounds like a great idea! My local B&M has some blocks for carving and I've been really wanting to grab one and go to work. I'm sure it will not be the prettiest but you always appreciate something you've done with your own hands. :puffy:

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Ichbinmuede,
As young as you look.. By the time you retire.. you will just take a pill to eat and another to smoke...

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It's fun and takes time. That first one will not be a Dunhill, but it will be worth far more than one as you look back later and say"I made that!"

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
good luck with your pipe. nothing wrong with a predrilled block. try one you might like it.

daftguy

Lurker
Mar 27, 2011
I just finished making my first pipe it turned out great, well to me it has. I was unsure about the process so I decided to make it out of Oak in order to get a feel for it with out wasting a good peice of briar. I am not sure you can smoke a Oak pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.