Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I’m finally giving some of the Rattray’s blends a try! I watched Hobbiton Piper’s video on Old Gowrie and was inspired to order it. While I was at it, I figured I should add a more few of their blends … you know, for comparison’s sake. They showed up today and I can’t wait to try them all. Which one should I start with?IMG_6035.jpeg

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
if you mix the tins on the outer edge and smoke them you become a highlander.
That was my intention!
My favorite is marlin flake. All of their flakes benefit greatly from aging though. I don’t remember how they are with little age on them.
I was leaning towards that one. I’ve been really interested in flakes lately. I smoke so slowly (or rotate so much) that I’m sure I’ll be able to compare all of these fresh vs. with a year or two of age.

Bourbonandcigars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2024
That was my intention!

I was leaning towards that one. I’ve been really interested in flakes lately. I smoke so slowly (or rotate so much) that I’m sure I’ll be able to compare all of these fresh vs. with a year or two of age.
For me, marlin flake could be an all day flake. Easy to rub out, taste like plums and light spice all the way down. With some richness towards the end of the bowl.

Last edited:

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Both Old Gowrie and Hal of the Wynd are among the all time great tobacco blends. I give a slight edge to Gowrie but both are great. Bagpiper's dream, on the other hand, has, for me, a distinct old fashioned hair tonic quality to it.

Reactions: Snook and BCF

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
After carefully considering throughout the course of my workday, I decided to try Old Gowrie first, since it prompted the order and all. So far, I love it! Great flavor and tin note. Easy to pack, too. I think I might like this better than Sweet Virginia, which is one of my favorites.IMG_6043.jpeg

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
I’m finally giving some of the Rattray’s blends a try! I watched Hobbiton Piper’s video on Old Gowrie and was inspired to order it. While I was at it, I figured I should add a more few of their blends … you know, for comparison’s sake. They showed up today and I can’t wait to try them all. Which one should I start with?View attachment 316247
Bagpiper’s dream then Old Gowrie (I caution ⚠️ you should save some Old Gowrie for aging!)

Reactions: Snook

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
Both Old Gowrie and Hal of the Wynd are among the all time great tobacco blends. I give a slight edge to Gowrie but both are great. Bagpiper's dream, on the other hand, has, for me, a distinct old fashioned hair tonic quality to it.
Tastes like suntan lotion for me, wasn't again.