Made this Meerschaum but Carnauba Wax Solution Cracked the Mortise.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Last edited by a moderator:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I do dig the pipe, kind of a dark side of the moon thing going on there. At first i thought it cracked when you. put it in the solution, but it was when you were actually plugging the holes to soak it? Maybe it had a flaw in the stone? It's really hard to tell how thick that part of the pipe is without seeing the tenon.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I don't know if I am right but that shank looks fragile somehow. It gave me the same feeling pencil shanks always do, this sense of needing to be overly tender with it. Could just be me and have no bearing on the reality of the situation.
You’re right. Normally I put a liner in the shank to strengthen it but this time I didn’t. Unfortunately you can see the result.

Reactions: anotherbob

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
So...what caused the crack? The thread title seems to lay blame on the wax,
No not the wax but I usually insert a 5/32” delron liner and then use a 1/4” piece of delron for the tenon. To plug the shank, I turned down a piece of 5/32” delron then wrapped one layer of electrical tape around it to seal it. I forced it too far so operator error on my part.

• Sad
Reactions: woodsroad

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Well, my lack of knowledge i guess. I just assumed caranuba was the wax used. Next time I’ll try beeswax. I thought the caranuba would color a nice soft, golden brown after smoking it numerous times. Kind of like a well cooked marshmallow over a campfire.
live and learn.