PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I grabbed a 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 inch piece of practice wood, mulberry and started to make my first bent pipe with the drilling freehand.
Everything going well, BAM

OWWW OWWW OWWW!!!

DANGER! DANGER!

OK, no blood, or anything broke.

What went wrong? Step 2? Is that why I was supposd to do that!?
Typical day in the shop. (Just kidding, this rarely happens.) Once you know what steps to take in what order, things go much smoother. I think I will check out Youtube on this topic. After lots of work with a sanding disk, I forced this hunk of wood into a shape that looks like a pipe, if you turn the lights out. The holes line up, so it should burn tobacco.
The pipe is very ugly. Is mulberry decent smoking or should this go into the firewood pile?
Winton

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Pizza just came out of oven. Once the movie is over, I will post pictures. Pipe is sanded all the way up to 40 grit and stem is not bent yet.
FYI, the step I skipped is making a flush surface to do the drilling. It caught the wood and ripped it out of my hands and started spinning it on the drill bit.
Winton

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Mulberry makes a good pipe. Have one I made about a year ago that has seen a lot of use. Has held up fine.I cheated somewhat,used a Grabow filter stem,I like to use filters.

mulberry-farm-pipe-003-large-600x450.jpg

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/ejames/album/picture/2510

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Here are the pictures of the pipe so far. It is only in the roughest form. No finish, so it is not shiny like ejames's pipe. I have found mulberry to be a very hard wood, that loses it color quickly. I have been feeling the symptoms of PAD, so I thought I would try another pipe. This wood was literally on the top of the pile.
Mulberrypipe-2.jpg

Mulberry2.jpg

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Looks like it might end up being a Poker. If I understand correctly and you drilled it by holding in your hands, you have my respect. You are also very brave! Looks a lot better than I could do at this point. EJames, your Mulberry pipe looks great! Actually beautiful!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Guys, the name of my woodworking business is Firewood Treasures. I take firewood and make woodturnings out of it. Often they become firewood again. Why are you expecting a first attempt to be successful? A couple years ago, I grabbed a truckload of mulberry logs. This is near the end of it and I will never pick up this wood again. There is so much better out there. I learned from the project. Now I know more and can't wait to try again. I have been looking at that crab apple log next to the firepit. Hmmmm. Ferb, I know what we are going to do today!
Winton
PS the purpose of this thread was to remind people of how dangerous woodworking can be.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks like it might end up being a Poker. If I understand correctly and you drilled it by holding in your hands, you have my respect. You are also very brave! Looks a lot better than I could do at this point. EJames, your Mulberry pipe looks great! Actually beautiful!
Thanks Zunismoke.That pipe was made from a Mulberry that had been cut and left to lie for several years in our pasture. Mulberry is very resistant to rot-makes good fence posts. I love the color,my pipe was not stained.I have more of that tree and intend to make more Mulberry pipes-one of these days.Wanna try some Persimmon also.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Winton,you might want to put an extension on the shank. As short as it is looks like your tenon is going to be very close to the bowl,might melt the tenon.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
ejames, the shank lenghth, or lack there of, is the fatal flaw in the design.
Winton.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Winton, my bowlwood nearly comes from the firewood I have delivered here. Amazing what you can find in a load of wood destined for the furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.