PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So I think I might pull the trigger on a Macqueen Ranger soon (I'd love a Vauen, but well... $$$). I've looked all over and all the reviews and opinions seem rather 50/50. It seems some of them smoke hot and gurgle (draft hole is apparently on the bottom). But I figure if I select the briar bowl instead of cherry, and build a good solid cake over time... that should fix the problem of it smoking too hot right? And I mainly smoke English/Balkan blends so they're dryer than most and don't tend to gurgle as much.
Am I making a mistake or what? Anybody here have one, or know anything about 'em?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
They have been known to smoke on the hot side and gurgle, and you have to wait 3-6 months to get one if you order it from them. They few pipes I have that gurgle, do it no matter what blend I try in them. :(

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks for the info, hobie. That in and of itself might change my mind. Unclearthur, I have no PM (assuming that is would be in the menu under messages and then inbox).

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
If you do decide to get one. I would go through pipesandcigars.com. They have them in stock and their customer service is way better.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Duncan, I've been looking all over the web to find someone who already has them made, so I don't have to wait so long. But so far everyone, including pipesandcigars who I'm wholly dedicated to, only sell the cherry bowls and not briars.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Well chit, I thought I saw they had a Briar bowled one but I was wrong. I guess it is your call now if you are willing to wait or just pull the trigger on a cherrywood bowl.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I hope you decide to get one, as MacQueen Pipes is supporting the running of this site with their advertising, and so is PipesandCigars.com.
They help us keep the lights turned on, so it's always appreciated when our members do business with our supporters.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I have a Ranger pipe. I got mine at pipesandcigars. It has a cherry wood bowl.

I don't know why everyone is so hard on these pipes? Mine is just fine. Its in fact a great pipe. Its smokes really well. It does not in my experience smoke wet and I have some wet smokers! It can smoke a bit hot. But, I am a quick smoker for sure. I have some of my other pipes smoke hot too. The only problem I did have is that the first Ranger I ordered did crack (the bowl) and pipeandcigars replaced it very quickly with no questions. They were great. I saw a guy on you-tube who bought both a cherry wood and a briar wood bowl (a wizard) and he said he cant even tell the difference between the two. The only thing I would mention is that it does taste a bit woodsy. Which for me has been fine so long as I don't some aero's in it. the it taste off to me. All other brands taste fine and it smokes really well. Its a handmade unique pipe for 60 bucks. pretty cool. i really like mine. I have another on order the ??? Im soooo tired right now i cant think of the name but another style pipe from MacQueen,, So have fun and order one!!! I would order from pipesand cigars and avoid the wait.

happy smoking!!!!!!!!

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I ordered from MacQueen 8 weeks ago, my order still isn't shipped, but I had the fortune of being informed by others beforehand that their window is a flat-out lie, they do not have the manpower to keep up with their orders, or the courtesy to admit it.
As long as you know it'll be 3-6 months feel free to order from them, I can't say myself as to whether or not it will be worth it but I am willing to believe it will be. Actually something advantageous about the ranger and wizard I ordered from them . . . I will have waited so long for them I will care about them a lot more.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Yes they take a while to be sure. I ordered one the begining of Jan and I am still waiting. A couple weeks ago they said sorry for the wait we will send it out next week and let you know via e mail..I've heard nothing. Its a little frustrating becauuse shipping takes a while too on top of just getting your order out. Have you got yours yet yoru?

Anyway I look forward to getting it and will try not to get bugged by the long wait. But its getting hard.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
well.... it looks like I have something better on the way. :) So I guess I'll never know about the Macqueens but I don't mind cause heaven just opened up and displayed the beauties of superior craftsmanship to a bleak world hard to come by hopes and dreams. YAY for me!......

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Nope, nor heard word one.
Oh and Congrats Nathan (your post wasn't there when I was writing mine :P)

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Well Nathaniel? What is this wonderful thing you have on the way?

Since we are speaking of MacQueens I Just smoked my Ranger and it is pretty much broken in. And smoking very nice and best of all the woodsey taste it had I think is completely gone. Which is nice becasuse it opens up the range (no pun) of tobaccos that I can smoke in it..maybe an areo might even work now..and again, not a wet smoke at all. So I will try to look forward and not be annoyed at the wait for my next MacQueen that I have been waiting for. Its the Tempest. I can never remember the name of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.