PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Grain of salt ---- these are my impressions after 1.5 bowls, both in cobs.

The tin note (in my case, bag note) is like semi sweet vanilla cookies, or even Golden Grahams cereal. The description on Tobaccoreviews says there's DFK in the blend, but I don't pick that up at all in the tin note. To me, the DFK in another Mac Baren roll cake, Club Blend, is immediately and obviously apparent, kinda like a cold fireplace the morning after an evening fire. In VRC, I can't find that. The vanilla topping in VRC is noticeably different from that in Vanilla Cream Flake, a little less intense, "softer," and not quite so spicy.

In the first half of the bowl, the vanilla is very pleasant and sweet, translating into the taste as well as room note. It fades later, but never completely. It's a very natural taste throughout, with no chemical flavors that I noticed. It has some interesting floral high notes that are noticeable throughout the bowl. Overall, it's quite rich flavorwise, but I would not say overly strong, but certainly not mild either. In the second half I started to notice a woody spice and very subtle smokiness from the DFK, as well as a general backbone to the smoke. It goes very well with the vanilla topping, and I think Mac B balanced those two perfectly. I'd guess there are some other burleys in there as well, as there is some nice round mild nuttiness in the background as well.

The virginias in the blend are very smooth, and add some sweetness. I think they make up a smaller proportion of the blend than the combined burley components. They lack the zip some other Mac Baren virginias have (Virginia Flake and fresh Club Blend, for example).

Overall, it's a very smooth smoke. I even puffed it hard a couple of times, and while it certainly got hot, there was almost no bite. Smoked at a reasonable cadence, there was none. I've never noticed the "Mac Bite" in other Mac Baren blends, so YMMV. I bet with a year + of age, this will be smooth as silk.

The moisture out of the bag was almost perfect, and I only needed to leave a bowlful out for about 30 minutes to get it just right for me. No goop of any kind.

To sum up, it's a very smooth, sweet smoke with a consistent vanilla flavor and aroma. While clearly an aromatic, there is no lack of tobacco oomph and flavor. Not as intensely topped as Vanilla Cream Flake, it's a notch or two stronger.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I received my two tins today. Just popped this tin so it is a bit premature to judge this. I have to think it will improve after it stabilizes. My first thought is this blend smells like horseshit sprinkled with vanilla extract. Sadly, it kind of tastes that way as well. I don't think the vanilla plays well with the burleys, the dominant taste and aftertaste I get is a bit tart and bitter instead of creamy and sweet. It kind of reminds me of when you blend enough colors together, you end up with a mud color. In other words, the sum of the parts was well less than the parts themselves. I'll give it a few days to a week, smoke some more and post an updated review.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I received my two tins today. Just popped this tin so it is a bit premature to judge this. I have to think it will improve after it stabilizes. My first thought is this blend smells like horseshit sprinkled with vanilla extract. Sadly, it kind of tastes that way as well. I don't think the vanilla plays well with the burleys, the dominant taste and aftertaste I get is a bit tart and bitter instead of creamy and sweet. It kind of reminds me of when you blend enough colors together, you end up with a mud color. In other words, the sum of the parts was well less than the parts themselves. I'll give it a few days to a week, smoke some more and post an updated review.

I'm looking forward to your updated review. I generally avoid aromatics, but this one has me intrigued for some reason.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm looking forward to your updated review. I generally avoid aromatics, but this one has me intrigued for some reason.

Ask and you shall receive. LOL. I smoked another bowl last night. It has improved. I think it will improve more with some age which should let the flavors meld together. The vanilla was a bit more prevalent and there was a little more sweetness. Still not a favorite but it was enjoyable. This one can hire a bit if not smoked slow.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Ask and you shall receive. LOL. I smoked another bowl last night. It has improved. I think it will improve more with some age which should let the flavors meld together. The vanilla was a bit more prevalent and there was a little more sweetness. Still not a favorite but it was enjoyable. This one can hire a bit if not smoked slow.
Out of curiosity, do you enjoy MacBaren Vanilla Flake/Loose Cut?

I smoke the Vanilla Flake once or twice a week and it gives me more or less the level of vanilla I'm looking for.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I smoke the Vanilla Flake once or twice a week and it gives me more or less the level of vanilla I'm looking for.

I've never smoked it. May have to try it. I don't smoke much aromatic tobacco, tried this one out of curiosity. I'll order a tin of the vanilla flake sometime with another order.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina

I'm also curious. I ordered a tin since I smoke the Vanilla Cream Loose Cut everyday. A previous post by @krizzose in this thread states that the Roll Cut has a less intense vanilla flavoring then the Flake or Loose Cut.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I'm also curious. I ordered a tin since I smoke the Vanilla Cream Loose Cut everyday. A previous post by @krizzose in this thread states that the Roll Cut has a less intense vanilla flavoring then the Flake or Loose Cut.
I also have a tin on the way, but I expect I'll be waiting a good while. I look forward to reading your thoughts as a daily smoker of Vanilla Cream.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I'm also curious. I ordered a tin since I smoke the Vanilla Cream Loose Cut everyday.
I’m also waiting for your review to see how it compares. I’m intrigued but don’t want something too close to what I already have.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I tried to buy a tin, and for the first time ever I got a note that this tobacco can't be shipped to massachusetts. Other tobacco is fine, but apparently the academics in this state feel it's appropriate for them to tell me what my pipe tobacco should taste like. Our academics give academics a bad name. What an embarrassment it is to live in the same state with these idiots. Sorry if this disappointing rant is off topic. Merry Christmas!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.