PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Aging an ounce of it currently, so we'll see! Usually burleys have lesser to gain from aging compared to other types of leaf, but upon first trying it, I felt similarly to how you did and decided to jar it and let it sit for a while. Might try it again in the winter, which is when I often get a hankering for burleys as a break from the usual English blends.

Aging tends to round over the flavors, not make them more exciting. But, I also don’t find Golden Extra boring. I mean, it’s not a kaleidoscope of flavors, but not very many are.
I think of it as “simple”. Not complex. I jusy smoke it when I want a burley with a touch of bright leaf sweetness.
But, age probably won’t do much to it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ll crack that tub when I get to it…

A2AA9ABE-846F-4204-A7C7-0063293E8759.jpeg

Most Va blends benefit with age, and being smoked slowly.

Boring is just a frame of mind.

I can find English blends boring. Being able to smoke Va and Va blends and pull the nuances out of them isn’t much of a challenge, but if you take the time to develop that skill it’s rewarding.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Does Mac Baren Golden Extra need some age before it becomes a very good tobacco? I tried it fresh from Smokingpipes and it seemed a little boring. I know this blend has been recommended here from time to time.
Thanks.
I love it fresh. My experience is limited, but somehow I like this more than for example Solani ABF which is considered one of the benchmark burleys. I get a lot more chocolate powdery notes from it, but not a lot more which is fine with me.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I have two aged IOOg tins that Iam trying to trade, after smoking an ounce of the bulk I decided it wasn't for me.

Reactions: RonB