PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
In my experience plastic jars seal better than glass jars.

The less air in the jar the better.

Larger amounts stay fresh better than small amounts. puffy

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
All I can say from personal experience is that the palate is a funny thing. I'll have bowls somedays that taste extremely faint, and others that are bursting with flavour, even from the same tin. I think alot of factors are involved. I try not to think about it too much. If the flavour is coming up extremely faint, I'll either put the pipe down for later, or try chasing a little further. Maybe even dump the entire thing if I'm extremely unimpressed, lol. Try another bowl of it later!
Agree, I notice this fairly often, sometimes for no apparent reason...but the biggest factor seems to be if I've just had something to eat or drink. I know a lot of people like to smoke immediately after a meal, but this usually doesn't work well for me.

As for the Cosmic Patented Long-Term Dry Storage System©️, by all means try it...see how it works out and report back!

Reactions: gervais

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Glass caning jars seal perfectly, plus have the advantage of being both chemically inert and an oxygen barrier, neither of which is true of most plastics.

But I don’t think that any of that has bupkiss to do with the OP’s plaint, which seems to be perception-based.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I keep my tobacco in the original tins until I am ready to smoke. Usually open two at a time. The tobacco kepes fresh for two weeks by which time I am done with it.

Reactions: Yellowmello

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Could you elaborate, please? I ask, because I didn't offer any "long term" storage advice.
I was mostly just making an attempt at humor...but you did say:

"...takes months for enough water to be lost and start to lose essential oils, so I have no idea what this "freshness" is that you guys talk about."

I would consider "months" to be long-term...but no, you did not specifically say "long-term".

I was mostly just making an attempt at humor...but you did say:

"...takes months for enough water to be lost and start to lose essential oils, so I have no idea what this "freshness" is that you guys talk about."

I would consider "months" to be long-term...but no, you did not specifically say "long-term".
Thanks, yeh... and maybe I am the one who should elaborate. I only keep what I am smoking from out in a bowl for like a week at most. However, I have kept whole pounds in their plastic bags from C&D until I have smoked it all with the last bit of it as fresh as the first smoke. I do put all (except occasionally when I know I am going to smoke through it rather fast) in glass jars to age. But, once a jar is sealed to age, I do not open that jar until I am ready to smoke through it.
I just think that a lot of folks on here have developed a fear of drying or staleness that I just haven't found to be as concerning.

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022
PS: I've not used those screw top lids, but they look to me like they should easily keep the tobacco moist enough for a few days...but if it's getting bone dry in there then a few days would be enough to lose some flavor for sure imo.

I like it pretty much bone dry before smoking, but I have noticed flavor loss if I store it that way for much more than a day. You might try using a second mason jar for the smaller amount you're currently smoking instead of those lids.
Yeah i have found they are not getting dry, but loosing a good amount of flavour only after the first day in the tin. Im really unsure as to why. I think the environment of a larger amount of tobacco (150grams) being stored together might enhance the flavour, compared to taking it out of a smaller batch (5grams).
I can see its not something people have noticed here, they seem to be storing in larger batches, so that might be the reason.

Reactions: brian64

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022
Probably an issue with that tin case.
Yeah ill try a smaller jar just to see. im thinking it could be that im taking tobacco from a smaller batch. storing larger amounts like 200g together might enhance the flavour of the tobacco you pull from it, compared to a 5 gram batch. i have no idea if theres any science behind this ,just a theory

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022
I keep my tobacco in the original tins until I am ready to smoke. Usually open two at a time. The tobacco kepes fresh for two weeks by which time I am done with it.
so you are storing 40-50 grams together? im thinking this might be part of the issue, as im noticing this with small 5 gram batches. maybe storing a small amount weakens the flavour a bit. im not sure

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022
Glass caning jars seal perfectly, plus have the advantage of being both chemically inert and an oxygen barrier, neither of which is true of most plastics.

But I don’t think that any of that has bupkiss to do with the OP’s plaint, which seems to be perception-based.
Hey, ive tasted both and compared many times. thats my perception sure.. if you havent noticed that ok good for you

Reactions: woodsroad

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022

interesting.i have noticed to your point that vacuum sealed plastic bags do a great job keeping in moisture compared to just loose in a tin, as you say theres less air interacting with the tobacco. ive heard on here glass locks in moisture better than plastic but that could be bs too. wouldn't surprise me

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022
All I can say from personal experience is that the palate is a funny thing. I'll have bowls somedays that taste extremely faint, and others that are bursting with flavour, even from the same tin. I think alot of factors are involved. I try not to think about it too much. If the flavour is coming up extremely faint, I'll either put the pipe down for later, or try chasing a little further. Maybe even dump the entire thing if I'm extremely unimpressed, lol. Try another bowl of it later!
Yeah I agree with you, but saying that ive tested this many times and the difference is always clear to me. of course i dont have undeniable evidence, only my perception which of course is easy to dismiss. I have a theory that it could be due to the jar holding more tobacco compared with the tin (atleast 10x) im thinking this may impact the flavour as its stored in this smaller batch. Im not basing this on anything btw, just a theory

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022

I know its probably a joke but i actually agree with that about larger amounts staying fresher, as this problem has happened with small amounts

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
interesting.i have noticed to your point that vacuum sealed plastic bags do a great job keeping in moisture compared to just loose in a tin, as you say theres less air interacting with the tobacco. ive heard on here glass locks in moisture better than plastic but that could be bs too. wouldn't surprise me
I have an old plastic peanut butter jar of tobacco out in my work shop. The shop is ventilated year round, so cold in winter and hot in summer. I don't smoke from it much so the tobacco left (a quarter full at last I looked) is several years old, yet when I open it the tobacco is as fresh, moist and flavorful as ever. Make of that what you will.... puffy

Reactions: Yellowmello

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Yeah I agree with you, but saying that ive tested this many times and the difference is always clear to me. of course i dont have undeniable evidence, only my perception which of course is easy to dismiss. I have a theory that it could be due to the jar holding more tobacco compared with the tin (atleast 10x) im thinking this may impact the flavour as its stored in this smaller batch. Im not basing this on anything btw, just a theory
You may be right. Some blends lose flavour with moisture loss. Maybe try adding a Boveda pack to your dipping stash