PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markchidley

Lurker
Jun 6, 2012
Does anyone have a recommendation of some dry lubricant that is not toxic (e.g.graphite) that works well to loosen tight stem to shank fittings? Or other processes you've tried that worked?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Mark, many people simply use a soft pencil and 'colour' the tenon in. Personally, I prefer to rub a dab of beeswax onto the tenon for lubricant; and as a bonus this method also works to tighten up a loose stem.
If you find that neither of the above methods work for you, take a fine grit sandpaper, and very gently take down the OD of the tenon - and when I say gently, I mean gently - perhaps a single twist at a time. If you find you have sanded off too much material, acrylic nail-polish works wonders to build it back up.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You might try talcum powder, but I don't really see your objection to graphite.

After all, your breathing-in a load of alkaloid poisons and carcinogens anyway. :rofl:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Graphite is just carbon.

Should be no issue there at all.

The pencil trick is my favorite.
If the pipe is new, the stem will loosen a bit over time. (in most cases)

You probably wouldn't want to loosen it too much, initially.
If the stem is very hard to remove... e.g. nearly stuck; try putting in the your freezer for a little while.

The wood and the ebonite will contract at different rates and the stem will come out much easier.

Then you can "colour" the stem without any foreseeable difficulties.

IMHO
Most importantly... Welcome aboard!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Lawrence said,
Graphite is just carbon.

Should be no issue there at all.

The pencil trick is my favorite.

That's 100% correct. "Lead" pencils don't really contain lead -- usually just a polymer carbon. My favorite trick too!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Does anyone have a recommendation of some dry lubricant that is not toxic (e.g.graphite) that works well to loosen tight stem to shank fittings?
Foreplay is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.