PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdoe

Lurker
May 26, 2014
I'm new here, and have been smoking a pipe on occasion for about 2 years now, having learned from my dad after I decided to give it a go. Anyways, I've already picked up some preferences, and I'm looking for some other suggestions that might be to my liking. The short list is:
Peterson Irish Flake (I have to say I have found this rather interesting, but I can't put a finger on why)

MacBaren Latakia Blend (This has been my go-to for quite some time. Close 2nd to Nightcap)

Dunhill Nightcap (This is my favorite by far right now)
I've also tried Frog Morton, but found it tasted a little flat (it seemed to lack a bit of depth initially), though the can I have after about 9 months ofjust sitting has improved somewhat to the point it seems smokable, but that may also be because everything else dried out too much since I didn't properly store any of it (I thought the opened can would keep it moist. Obviously I was wrong).
What I am interested in would be some other suggestions, especially with some that would be more plesant for others around me when I decide to smoke some (I've been told my taste in tobacco stinks up the place).

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For a departure from Latakia blends, but still retaining strength while adding some subtle sweetness and room note, I would suggest Dunhill Royal Yacht.
If you want to retain the Latakia while adding some room note, look no further than Pipeworks & Wilke. You'll have to call to order, but it will be worth it. Try Bestmake, No.5, and No.13.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Welcome to the forum first off. Judging from your list I'd say you would have to add Dunhill's 965 and Early Morning Pipe to your "must try" list. Others on here refer to these 2 along with Nightcap as the Dunhill trifecta. Of course there's hundreds of other offerings out there to explore and GL Pease is a good place to start along with Pipes and Cigars house blends. Sutliff tobacco has the Private Stock line with some excellent English/Balkan mixtures like Westminster and Balkan Luxury 759 both of which if can personally vouche for. Go about it in a deliberate manner and start a journal to record your impressions as it'll surprise you after a couple years as your tastes evolve. Too many too fast will leave you bewildered, don't ask how I know this ;-). There's plenty of others that should chime in that can and will offer some great suggestions as well. Good smoking!

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Welcome and great first post my friend. Id suggest any of the Mac Baren private stocks. They all have a pleasant room scent and are lighter in taste without missing the mark on tobacco flavor.
I did a review of Hearth and Homes white knight and while it is fuller in body the room scent will not be pleasant for anyone who isnt a smoker. But the taste and complex nature will have you going back for seconds.
Pipes and cigars website has its match blends that are nice, i have the mapleton match and the room scent is like warm pancakes and maple syrup. Its very nice and has a nice baccy flavor.
And lastly the boswell baccys are all good(so far ive tried the berry) I can honestly say to me it smelled like you were in a field of berries on a hot summer afternoon. The room scent had my girl wondering what i was baking in the oven. She hates tobacco and is also allergic so take my word if she likes it then its a great crowd pleaser.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
You've opened a can of worms. You will get so many recommendations that you won't know what to get.

jdoe

Lurker
May 26, 2014
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Right now the Dunhill "trifecta" seems like my next best bet, along with the MacBaren Private stocks, which I'll have to sort through in my own time.
Of course, I'm still up for more suggestions.
@wilson

I learned years ago that when one ask for a suggestion like I have, you either grab something that might be similar to what you already know, or you grab something at random and try to sample things that vary greatly. It would take some significant effort to overwhelm me with suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.