PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2011
I've begun my search, a search that would not have been necessary had I been more diligent in the recent past. I've been a casual pipe smoker for 20 years whose primary pipe shop was 310 Pipe & Tobacco located off the square in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. My two smokes of choice were their custom cherry blend and another custom blend called Stones River. I smoked these for years and even had some shipped to me when I lived in Florida.
I never envisioned the day that the shop would close and so I never took the time to really investigate the source of their house blends. As the shop is closed and I am unable to contact the former owner, I'm left with a tobacco blend that I highly enjoyed but have no idea if I'll ever be able to smoke it again. Does anyone here have any memory or connection with this pipe shop in Murfreesboro? Any useful information will be appreciated.
Unfortunately, my vocabulary and palate are not sophisticated enough to fully describe the blend. My best effort is to describe the blend as medium-dark with the flavor of maple syrup mixed with a hint of cherry. It was a smooth smoke without any harshness associated with smoking English.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Sensei, I'll give my best friend a call this week. He used to attend MTSU and the occasional pipe smoker. No promises but I'll give it a shot. He has a memory like a bear trap on crack.

Feb 13, 2011
This fellow MTSU grad will be much appreciative of the help. Stones River was my favorite blend, but I liked to sample their counter from time to time. Hopefully, all their house blends came from one supplier. I've learned to not take for granted a shop that's been open for decades because at any time, the widow of the former owner may just get tired of running the business and just decide to enjoy retirement.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Wow, blast from the past--I lived in Murfreesboro, on the square, one summer with a girlfriend stripping her way through college. I only smoked cigarettes then, young and dumb as I was, and I knew 310 as a landmark. There was a pool hall there too, I forget the name. She was the best of times, she was the worst of times....

Good luck with your search, ishi.

Feb 13, 2011
Russ Ouellette says that this blend was not his and I'm waiting on a response for Mary at McClelland Tobacco about whether or not its their blend.
Found their website hosted at archive.org and I copied this description of Stones River:
Stones River - This blend is a nationwide bestseller. Golden Cavendish with a hint of fire-cured. Another nice cool and mild blend that you can smoke all day.
====
Cherry Cherry - A blend of three cherries and a berry make this house blend a beginner’s favorite. This blend is very aromatic and has a wonderful aroma, a sure crowd pleaser. A smooth and sweet draw takes on cherry in an aromatic dream.
I like their cherry offering as well.
The site on archive can be found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080204203019/310pipe.com/tobaccoaromatic.html

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Stones River sounds kinda like Lane Ltd's 1-Q
Description from pipesandcigars.com, but I'm betting it's Lane's description:
Golden Cavendish blend but with a hint of fire-cured blended in provides a scintillating taste and flavorful aroma.
Hope this helps...
-Jason

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
If anybody knows how to get a hold of ishigakisensei, I think I know where he can find his blend. The Humidor on the square in Murfreesboro bought all of 310's recipes and have been blending 310 tobaccos. I was just in there yesterday and picked up 310 House Blend. They told me about them.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
I understood that The Humidor was blending many of the 310 blends as well. I've seen several of the names carried over but don't recall seeing Stones River. I enjoy their Battleground, Blue Raider (both of those from 310, I think), Blue Velvet and another called Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
I just called over there and they said they're still carrying the Stones River blend. Now if someone could somehow get a hold of ishiga.

Aug 6, 2015
310 was great, the old man that owned back in the 1990's I have heard since past away and that his daughter had taken over.

Unfortunately I had moved back to Florida in 1998 and haven't been back to TN but once to do a quick visit but did not get to make it around much of M-Boro at the time think was around 2000-2002 and was short on funds so if 310 was still open at the time I couldn't pick up another Dunhill if I had wanted to. I heard much of their house blends but I only smoked to get the chocolate flavor without the calories and wasn't a fan of more Tobacco flavored tobacco's. So little help in this discussion. But if the Daughter did take over then a link to her store or who ever took over from her or the old man would be great.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Can't help you with the blend, but the owner of the shop was none other than Edsel James, who had one of the largest Dunhill collections in the country! He passed several years ago. Hope this helps!
Cheers,--Eric

thehumidortn

Lurker
Dec 12, 2016
The Humidor does carry a lot of the 310 blends. Some of them we already had in our rotation so we didn't change our name to the old 310 version on industry standards. If you aren't able to get to Murfreesboro to check us out, 310's Stones River is The Humidor's Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For AKA Lane 1-Q. 310 Cherry Cherry is McClelland M-27. Always welcome to call us with questions (615) 890-4092
Mike

mbwilson

Lurker
Jun 22, 2017
You returned after 6 years to reply to your thread. That, and the lengths that the other went to to track down the blends, I'm impressed. I feel like I've witnessed some kind of special forum history.

Status
Not open for further replies.