96 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Is there anything that could be done to make these old meers smokeable, like the ones you'll see on ebay?

Would they taste as bad as it looks like they would?

Here's an example of the kind of pipe I'm talking about.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
As far as I can tell, based on past experiments, you'd treat that pipe like any other. Clean it like normal. Bees wax will make it shine again.

Someone sure loved that thing!

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I Have bought many many many estate meers on ebay. I would not spend 70 bucks on that particular pipe, there are some real deals out there, that while some of them are colored a bit, they don't look dirty and beat to hell.

I also am wary of random people saying pipes are that old just because they "look that old".

This one i got a couple weeks ago for under $60 it's gorgeous in person with a gold band. Smokes like a dream.

IMG_3286.jpeg

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
@condorlover1 has a truckload of those ancient implements.
Along with @ashdigger.
Getting them re-stemmed (if needed) is no problem
I'd say on the one he posted the actual bowl is really beat to shit and not worth it. I picked up a cutty from the 1860s, it was easier to date by maker and had some provenance, for about 125 and it's in wonderful shape, i only bought it to own it, it's too small for my tastes to smoke but it's old, gorgeous and something to show off to people LOL

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I picked up a cutty from the 1860s, it was easier to date by maker and had some provenance, for about 125 and it's in wonderful shape. it's old, gorgeous and something to show off to people LOL
It’s not difficult to find old meers in very good to excellent condition.
And in most cases cheaper than an equivalent briar
These 3 are in “as found” condition
IMG_4151.jpegIMG_3679.jpegIMG_1754.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Thought so, i didn't bid on it, but did covet it .. god will now strike me down .. not the first commandment ive broken but i think once you hit 5 of them you're in trouble LOL
Commandments....That all depends on who you are my friend......

Sometimes I search ebay for estate meers. Not because I'd ever dare smoke one, but I love seeing how they grow and get abused over time. I just like looking.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Oh pipes are fine !
Neighbour’s wife ?
Now THAT can be problematic. Not to mention expensive 😏
Well ex wife's best friend, but she wasn't married (just a bf) ... one of those "why didn't i meet her and not you" type of deals. My life would have been much different and 200x better... after all the divorce was expensive anyway and not for nearly such a good reason :P

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper