PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Ok i got the ball/mason jar thing and have been doing some reading on the subject.

Some say to soake the jars in hot tap water to creat a slight vacuum some say just jar it and put the lid on. anyone have a oppinion on this? or experence? i am new to all this and well all the info can be a bit overwhelming.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That's what I did. Sure couldn't hurt if you are going to be storing it awhile. You do need some air to age properly, but even though it's sealed it won't be a perfect vacuum.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Not so much for age them but just to keep fresh i have had alot given to me in the past week and would like it to keep till i get to it

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
As long as the jar is clean and the lid is new the canning style jars will keep your tobacco fresh and as moist as when you first put it in with naught more than a fill and closing it up.
Easy-peasy (-:

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Well i did what it said on pipe&cigar the buttons didnt pop down like thet should have

off to the arrowhead site to try to sell some of my collection :crying: to buy a vacuum sealer with jar attachment

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah, as long at the jar is airtight don't over analyze it. Stuff n seal.
But if you really wanted to vacuum seal it... clean the jars, place the jars in warm to hot water for a few moments (just enough to get the glass hotter than room temp, and dont get any water IN the jar), fill with tobacco, and then screw the lid on.
Obviously make sure your jars arn't from a really cold area in the house, otherwise when you put them in the hot water they will crack or burst. But I think every adult knows that by now. :D

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Ive had some navy flake in a jar for at least 3 months, justr put it in and closed it, still perfect, just checked

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The reason for air in the jar is so the chemical reactions between the tobacco and air can take place and "age" your tobacco.
If you create a vacuum you will have less air in the jar. If you don't want it to age as much then go ahead and vacuum the hell out of it. It'll still go through some degree of aging with the air available.

Status
Not open for further replies.