PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
As per the title, this is a long shot, but on the back of unusual sports threads I recently saw clips of guys in India playing Carrom. I have to admit it looks like a cool table top game to perhaps while away the hours on rainy afternoons during caravaning holidays.
Is it as fun as it looks or are these guys making something frustratingly difficult, look too easy?
I have the inkling to try to make a board from scratch, although perhaps a bit smaller than regulation size.

Reactions: mingc and Scottmi

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My parents had carom boards that featured multiple games like backgammon, chess, checkers, and had a reversible top and pockets at four corners. They bought us a new one about sixty years ago when I was a child.

They sell on eBay as collectibles.

IMG_6961.jpeg

Ours is somewhere in the milk barn.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
My parents had carom boards that featured multiple games like backgammon, chess, checkers, and had a reversible top and pockets at four corners. They bought us a new one about sixty years ago when I was a child.

They sell on eBay as collectibles.

View attachment 283400

Ours is somewhere in the milk barn.
This looks like the board we had many, many years ago when I was a kid. I remember having fun with it but not being any good with it.

There are 9 white, 9 black and a red disk on a super polished plywood surface. It is often made more slippery with boric acid. There are four pockets in four corners. You need to pocket all your disks before your opponent’s. The red disk is targeted by both teams and worth 5 points. If you sink the red then you need to follow up (cover) by sinking one disk of your own color. There are many other rules. The set is won when one team reaches 29.

Of course there will be regional variations, and I am not super familiar with the official international rules

You sink the disks using a heavy disk called a striker, which you must flick and not push.